Misfire?? Not sure what it is??

fbird18

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 2001 V8 w/ 112,000 mi. This summer I replaced 4 injectors to fix the leaky injector/hard start problem. That worked till last month and it started doing it again. So I replaced the last 4 this weekend. It starts perfect now, but after driving for a bit, once the engine got up to temperature, it started to shudder when I hit the gas. Idling in drive, the engine shudders and hesitates like its misfiring. No engine light coming on, I went to autozone and they hooked thier handheld up to it and gave me the idle air control sensor code. Replaced that, fixed nothing. Is it possible one of the injectors were bad? Do injectors "kinda" work? Or are they working or not working type of things? How would I know if it was a bad coil? Like I said, no check engine light. Please help.

Sorry, but cant answer your question. But I did want to add that replacing parts SOLELY based upon the info provided by the code readers, can often lead to a lot of wasted money. Dont get me wrong, sometimes the codes spit out info that certainly tells you a specific part is bad, but most often, it tells you remote info about a situation that requires further diagnosis (sometimes through the use of the dealership computer system) in order to tell EXACTLY what the issue is.

Just fyi. Would hate to see you wasting more good money on good parts..

Sounds like a coil or two on it's way out. I know my car did that for the longest time before I went to pass someone on the highway, put my foot into it and the car jerked with a check engine light. Gonna have to ride it out until that light comes on unfortunately.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Is there anyway to test each one to find the bad one(s)? I thought about buying a COP and trying it on each of plugs one at a time to see if I could find the bad one. Does that sound like a stupid idea? Or maybe using a multi meter and testing each one to find one that is different than the others? Or am I stuck until the computer decides to tell me which one is bad?

Misfire-Ignition Coils

Gotta check those ignition coils, On a V8 you could possibly have 2 out and just run on six cylinders. Easy to replace but a pain to find out which one is the problem. Also check out the spark plugs-oil leak from worn gasket could short out coil and cause same problem, either way you're gonna need new coils (about $70-$80 ea.), because they won't work even if you clean them (if you do find oil). Got Gaskets on both side from ford for about $60 ea. ( yeah for rubber, but I'm sure It's 'cause everything is an arm and leg in NY). Change all 8 sparkplugs ($9 bucks per for the Motorcraft platinum plugs), and bought 2 coils for cylinders 1 and 6 (after paying $95 just to have ford run it on their diagnostic machine).

Members online

No members online now.
Back