MKS gets an exclusive 3.7L V-6

beaups said:
i'm certain if i was to search long enough i can find one....however most death cases are suffocation and the kids are in the car alone. yes, the sensors in modern systems 'should' prevent this...but i don't think it would take much to collapse a small child's or baby's throat.

technology isn't perfect. my garage door sometimes flips out in the winter. my computer locks up all the time. my lincoln ls breaks A LOT.

as a father of 4, I wouldn't trust that "pinch" sensor.

How many kids do you have?
I have no kids. With that said, I wouldn't leave them in a car alone. Now, if I did leave my child in the car and he died as a result of a power window, would I not be responsible for the death? I, in essence, would be endangering the life of my child which is against the law.

I may not be a parent, but even I know not to leave a child alone in a car......especially a small child or baby.

beaups said:
don't believe me? stick your head out the window and hit the auto up button. Report back to us on how that goes :)

It doesn't hurt to bad.................
The key is to turn your head sideways

JES_LS said:
Now I find the whole "Since the D35 is replacing the D30, it's going to be in everything Blue Oval, so it should have a tremendous aftermarket." to be total BS.
Well, the D30 IS in almost every car line that Ford makes. It is (or was) in the LS, the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/MKZ, the Five Hundred/Montego, Freestyle, as well as a couple of Jaguars--and the Noble supercar (though that's hardly a standard D30 engine :D ). The D35 is replacing the D30, and it's already in the new crossovers (Edge/MKX), so it is going to be a widespread engine.

Presence or absence of an aftermarket for the D35-family engines is to be seen, but it's probably not going to be as limited as the 3.9 V8 by virtue of its market penetration. Whether or not the Mod Motors are as widespread as expected, you would have to agree that they have a decent amount of aftermarket support.

FWIW, I'd say that use in five vastly different car platforms including one FWD application (MN-12 (T-Bird/Mark VIII), Continental, Fox95 (Mustang), Panther (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car), and the '05+ Mustang), as well as in trucks and SUVs, in no less than five variants (4.6L SOHC/DOHC, 5.4 SOHC/DOHC, and the V10 Triton), would qualify it as wide-spread. In fact, one of the oft-quoted nails in the LS's coffin was its engine bay's inability to accommodate the corporate-standard 4.6L V8 on the assembly line...

I dunno SoonerLS, to me that sounds like more excuses turned into marketing features.
The modular sis-boom-bah rollout statement sounded like "we have gotten so pathetic that we can only build on head and block design and just keep adding or removing cylinders. We can't develop multiple engines that are optimized for the application."

Now it seems more like "we can only design and built one engine for automobiles from here on out and it will be a FWD 3.xl V6."

For years the lack of options in engines has been what has held FoMoCo back and they still can't see it.

does the driver's window NOT have this on the 03 LS? I hit the auto up this AM for giggles and applied downward force to the glass and it did NOT reverse...pulled my hand out before it got crushed.

DLS8K said:
I have no kids. With that said, I wouldn't leave them in a car alone. Now, if I did leave my child in the car and he died as a result of a power window, would I not be responsible for the death? I, in essence, would be endangering the life of my child which is against the law.

I may not be a parent, but even I know not to leave a child alone in a car......especially a small child or baby.

I wouldn't leave them alone either. It's not about that. It's about accidentally hitting the button while they are doing something stupid (like sticking their head or arm out the window).

beaups said:
does the driver's window NOT have this on the 03 LS? I hit the auto up this AM for giggles and applied downward force to the glass and it did NOT reverse...pulled my hand out before it got crushed.

hmmm.........mine will go down on my 03. Sometimes if they're on auto up and I hit a bump they'll even go down. You might have something wrong with yours. Good ol reliable technology. Sorry Captain I won't post about the auto windows on this thread anymore.

Add me to the list of never own one if it doesn't have a V8. That to me is the equivilent of Ford selling a Mustang with no V8 as an option. Un American. Just slap a Lexus label on it and call it a Toyota, oh, wait. I'ts all wheel drive, sorry, slap a damn Subaru label on it then. /rant

chriswells78 said:
Add me to the list of never own one if it doesn't have a V8. That to me is the equivilent of Ford selling a Mustang with no V8 as an option. Un American. Just slap a Lexus label on it and call it a Toyota, oh, wait. I'ts all wheel drive, sorry, slap a damn Subaru label on it then. /rant
I don't know, about the must be a V8 thing.
I mean I'd still buy a mustang if the top of the line engine was say a 4.x liter dohc V6 with intercooled twin turbos or a intercooled postive displacement supercharger.
Of course that is just MO, If ford ever decides to offer the mustang without a manual, then I'm gone.

And watch that Subaru crack, they make some good stuff. If only they would take the wrx sti and just upsize it, then I would probably already own one.

MKS + V6 =
gay.gif

V-8, V-6...not all that concerned per se.

BUT

If the entire Lincoln lineup (not counting trucks) had no RWD that's not cool in my book. Back when the Conti came out FWD..fine...whatever...but there were LSCs and whatnot to keep it real. But AWD does nothing for me in SoCal and FWD? I just can't justify going to Lincoln for that. That's just me.

I'd like a manual, but hey, Ford, at least give me a modern, robust, stout juicer with SST or whatever and I'll be fine.

Also, the V-6 better already be in Acura/Lexus/Infiniti/BMW range as fas as output and refinement. 2008/9/10 whatever is TOO LONG to wait.

What I don't understand is, they already have an existing twin turbo engine in service with the Australian Falcon car down under, and from the reviews, it sounds like a fantastic engine.

Why can't they bring it up here?

Talk to your representative, cap'n. It's all about the EPA and the CAFE penalties.

Just think, that 5.4L DOHC that they sell in Oz is built at Ford's Romeo engine plant here in the good ol' US-of-freaking-A.

beaups said:
I wouldn't leave them alone either. It's not about that. It's about accidentally hitting the button while they are doing something stupid (like sticking their head or arm out the window).
Well, on my car, I can lock the windows from being operated by any location in the car (including the driver's controls) until I unlock the windows. As for the rest of your "hypothetical" situation...........what if a child jumped from the window while the car was traveling down the road. Or he sticks his head out of the window and decapitates himself/herself on a mail box. Or he sticks his hand out and it gets ripped off by oncoming traffic. Or......you know what, there are worse things that could happen with the window down than could ever happen with a window going up. End of story.

Oh yeah, what if he shuts his hand in the door and loses his fingers and bleeds to death because there is no hospital around and he happens to have a blood disorder that prevents clotting? What if he's blind and has no arms and gets shut in the trunk and cant pop the lever to get out before he bakes to death in the hot trunk? Or what if he decides to stick his finger in the 12V power socket and get shocked.........causing his hand to fly into you while you're driving down the highway and you go off the road and get impaled by a fence post while he strangles himself in the seat belt while the car is upside down?

If those sound improbable.....so does your argument.

I was reading in my issue of Autoweek today, that the new Jaguar S-type will have a 350 hp 5.0L V-8, and a supercharged R version offering 460 hp. Considering the LS shared quite a few components with the old Jag S-type, I don't see why they can't use the same engines on the MKS?

captainalias said:
I was reading in my issue of Autoweek today, that the new Jaguar S-type will have a 350 hp 5.0L V-8, and a supercharged R version offering 460 hp. Considering the LS shared quite a few components with the old Jag S-type, I don't see why they can't use the same engines on the MKS?
The MKS is not on the same platform as the LS (or the S-Type). The LS and current S-Type are DEW-98, which is a RWD, longitudinal engine layout (the new Jag will be on an evolution of DEW-98). The MKS is on Ford's D3 platform, which is designed for transversely-mounted FWD/AWD applications.

Members online

No members online now.
Back