Modules Replacement

Flieger

LVC Member
Reaction score
The local Ford dealer says I have to replace both the ABS module and the restraints control module. I took the car in to have an airbag light solved. They gave it back to me with the airbag light still on and added the CEL, ABS, Brake and Trac lights saying the modules are bad. Of course they want big dollars for the modules and installation. Has anyone replaced either module as a DIY job? I can get used modules from a parts car. Do the new modules have to be integrated with the PCM using a Ford computer?

hate to second guess the dealer....

have you done your own diagnosis? some of the very common issues with the LS may be the cause.

If you just have traction control, then it can be completely do-it-yourself. If you have Advancetrac, then dealer equipment is required to put the advancetrac module into calibrate mode. (It must be calibrated to the car.)

Anything to do with a weak batt? Our cars can get mighty cranky when this happens.

New battery installed. I ran a scan and can't find any memory data in the PCM. I think that the dealer mechanic may have burnt something and does not want to admit it. I think I'm going to check all the fuses and then talk to an independent auto electrician

Air bag light most likely is cause a bad clock spring. I just did mine the other night and it was a breeze.

CEL should come up with a scan, thats odd you found nothing.

The ABS, could that not be do to low brake fluid?

The ABS, could that not be do to low brake fluid?

I think not in this case. The ABS module provides the VSS signal that the speedometer (among other things) uses, and the OP says that his speedometer is not working. This does imply that the ABS module has failed or is not communicating, or has lost most of its wheel speed sensors.

I think not in this case. The ABS module provides the VSS signal that the speedometer (among other things) uses, and the OP says that his speedometer is not working. This does imply that the ABS module has failed or is not communicating, or has lost most of its wheel speed sensors.

I missed the speedo part.

that's my point - a couple of common failures (clockspring and wheel sensor) and you have most of this fixed.

Is the CEL still on? What year is the LS? the Gen2 uses CAN, so your scantool needs to be CAN compatible.

It is a 00V6. The CEL is still on. Earlier threads point out that a bad speed sensor can cause most of my brake/ABS indicator problems. I have to get the car on a hoist now and check the speed sensors. Everything was working well except the air bag warning light until the dealer tried to diagnose the airbag light. Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I have to diagnose each problem in turn now and work it through.

Everything was working well except the air bag warning light until the dealer tried to diagnose the airbag light. Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I have to diagnose each problem in turn now and work it through.

Yes, that does sound fishy. Maybe they blew the communications bus?
Also, it seems to be rare for the SRS module itself to fail, but common for the clockspring or underseat wiring to be a problem. What code is the SRS light flashing out?

It seems like the dealer would take some responsibility here. You can prove you didn't have those issues when you brought in to them - they would have been on the service write up. But then again, you may have to threaten them with a lawsuit. Have an attorney write them a letter if they won't man-up and do something for you. Most dealers would rather fix a problem than pay an attorney. Also you might want to report them to the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully they will work with you on it. Best wishes!

The dealer's mechanic was trying to fix the airbag light and said there was also a short(s) in the major wiring harness that runs around the front of the car. He tried to deal with both and spent a lot of hours proving he is not as capable as he believed. Fortunately I only agreed to a limited number of hours and the dealer had to eat the rest of the labor. In the end I just wanted to get the car out of their grasp before they could cause more problems. I've found a local auto electrics guy who comes highly recommended and hope to have everything resolved this weekend with your advice and his technical help. The idea to complain to the Better Business Bureau is good and I'll do that.

Members online

Back