Motor Swap Question

GhostLs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my replacement motor ordered for my LS. I've pulled a lot of motors over the years but never one from the bottom. Does the whole assembly drop wheels and all? Any information, direction, or pointers anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have a shop and a couple different types of lifts, an engine hoist, an industrial tranny jack, and all the tools a man needs so I've got that going for me at least!

correct - the cross member, front suspension, engine and transmission all come out together.

you usually have it up in the air to get everything ready, drained and unhooked, then lower it, undo the chassis bolts and then raise the car off the drivetrain (which remains sitting on the floor).

You can pull it from the top - but you have to remove most of the front pieces, rads, ....etc

correct - the cross member, front suspension, engine and transmission all come out together.

you usually have it up in the air to get everything ready, drained and unhooked, then lower it, undo the chassis bolts and then raise the car off the drivetrain (which remains sitting on the floor).

You can pull it from the top - but you have to remove most of the front pieces, rads, ....etc

Thanks Quik. Anything else important I should know that might not by among the obvious?

If you are keeping the transmission - mark the yoke/rubber Guido/driveshaft so you reconnecting them in the same position - since they are speed balanced together.

If you are keeping the transmission - mark the yoke/rubber Guido/driveshaft so you reconnecting them in the same position - since they are speed balanced together.

Ya i wouldn't have thought of that. Not that blowing a motor is a good thing but I guess I does put about three years of life back into my car. I had just hit 100k on my motor and the one I bought has only 68k. I got it for 1,500 delivered and it's a complete motor so I don't feel too bad about it. I'll have plenty of extra parts lol! I will be swapping out a lot of the parts from mine just because they were new and I'm going to go ahead and change out the valve cover gaskets, plugs, and coil packs while the motor is out. Do I need to flash the computer after I get the new motor installed? Seems like it would make sense to do so.

Members online

Back