My car wont' start

irock03

LVC Member
Reaction score
I really need some answers!!!!! I was driving through a parking lot in the pouring rain and I didnt' know the sewer was backed up it was hard to see. I went through the puddle and it was pretty deep (went to top of my wheels) My car died and now I can't get it to start. It won't even turn over. We replaced the starter(mechanic said it was shorted out) and still nothing!!!! If anyone ever had this problem and has a solution I would greatly appreciate the help.

maybe you should pull out the sparts pugs and get the water out of the cylinders. It hydro locked. change your oil to make sure there is no water in there and see if it will start. I know if the piston gets enough speed it will blow the head off the motor and bend your rods so you need to be careful.

Let it dry out really well. I agree - change the oil, and prob all the fuilds, but at a minimum the oil. Insurance may cover this!

I will try it

Thanks for the fast response. I hate being without a vehicle. I will try changing the oil and checking the spark plugs. I will let you know how I make out. I was also told it might be the timing chain because you can hear the starter engaging but it won't turn over. I won't go there yet.

which car is it, your '98? The gen2's are notorious for getting water in the boots and it will cause misfires. I've heard this happen from people just washing their cars. Pull your plugs, coils, and boots and let them dry out

can't find anything

Do you know where the distributor cap is? What are boots? Are the spark plugs under the cover attached to the valve cover?

irock03 said:
Do you know where the distributor cap is? What are boots? Are the spark plugs under the cover attached to the valve cover?

there is no distributor cap, these things are controled by the computer on when to fire. under the cover that is on the valve cover is the coils, each coil has a rubber boot with a spring in it, under all that is the spark plug, deep in the head.

Takin the plugs out is not for the novice on these cars, if you need to remove them let a pro do it, even then it sux cause 6 out of 8 will prob strip out.

your right

Thanks for the advice, I will let a pro do it. It sounds too complicated for me. They don't make cars easy to work on. The last thing I need to do is start stripping plugs. Once again thanks!!!

98LSC32V said:
If your motor got hydrolocked start looking for a new motor... :eek:
you joking? Two of my friends hdryo-locked their motors and both of them are in perfect running condition. As long as a rod didnt bend it will be fine.

I agree
I have seen cars with bent rods run fine to. Just a slight miss fire to it. Enough to think maybe a wire was bad. Motors are really tough. You have to have allot of water in there and high RPM to do damage. I had one when I had removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor over . The water shot out 40 feet !!!
It was cool in a way the ultimate water pistol!! LOL
The car needed a head gasket and ran perfect after.

i did the same thing, and what happened was the fuel line got ripped out from the fuel filter. i dont think thats something you can realy miss, especially when the gas smell is there, and the fuel is all over the road...

poneyhexed said:
I agree
I have seen cars with bent rods run fine to. Just a slight miss fire to it. Enough to think maybe a wire was bad. Motors are really tough. You have to have allot of water in there and high RPM to do damage. I had one when I had removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor over . The water shot out 40 feet !!!
It was cool in a way the ultimate water pistol!! LOL
The car needed a head gasket and ran perfect after.
One of my friends had a 318 dakota that got hydrolocked but he ended up just stroking the motor out to 360. And my other friend had a grand marquis with a faulty plastic intake manifold as many did and it cracked and filled a couple cylinders with coolant and also killed the alternator.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$yup I did that durning the hurricane and had to change the engine, you can try taking the plugs out and getting a socket on the crank w/ a fence pole or breaker bar for torque and try to push the water out, I bent my rods lesson to be learned
1) after market intake sits alot higher, good for puddles.
2)water does not and will not compress, however metal will.

poneyhexed said:
I agree
I have seen cars with bent rods run fine to. Just a slight miss fire to it.

i had a cracked head on my 87 f150 w/a 5.0 after the veh was hot and shut off the head would leak coolant into the cyl so a hot restart was the only time that there was a prob it would turn over fine till it hit the cyl full of coolant, i was just a kid then and didnt care cuz it allways went when i needed it to finally i got my hands on a new motor built it up then swapped them out, during the strip down of the old eng we found one cyl was oval, like seriouslly oval, the rod wasent bent sideways (not the usual way) where instead of folding sideways it bent it where it streched the "bottom" of the I and compressed the "top" i'll bring it home and take a pic (its in my tool box at work as a reminder)

chickenviii said:
i had a cracked head on my 87 f150 w/a 5.0 after the veh was hot and shut off the head would leak coolant into the cyl so a hot restart was the only time that there was a prob it would turn over fine till it hit the cyl full of coolant, i was just a kid then and didnt care cuz it allways went when i needed it to finally i got my hands on a new motor built it up then swapped them out, during the strip down of the old eng we found one cyl was oval, like seriouslly oval, the rod wasent bent sideways (not the usual way) where instead of folding sideways it bent it where it streched the "bottom" of the I and compressed the "top" i'll bring it home and take a pic (its in my tool box at work as a reminder)

sweeeeeet.

i think i would hang on to it too,
remind us of our youth,,,lol
cant wait for pic.

Members online

Back