My new '95 Ivory pearl LSC!

Schaefft

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Yeah, after searching for a GOOD Mark VIII in Germany for ages I decided to just buy the one Ive seen in the UK (where Im currently living) in late November.

Its a 1995 ivory pearlescent LSC with a saddle interior (which is good because my other Mark VIII got the same). For some reason it has the 20 spoke directional wheels on and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't notice that when he imported the car from Florida in 2007. Maybe I can find 10 spokes (chrome would be perfect) somewhere where I don't have to pay twice what they are worth for shipping alone.

It doesn't have the HIDs, the current headlights are a bit faded anyway so Im gonna replace them with the ones on my other car which still were pretty nice. I also have to replace the taillight because someone thought its a good idea to glue amber aftermarket lenses ON the taillight. Apart from that it needs new fluids, the interior needs to be cleaned a bit and I might have to replace some small things. The previous owner told me he replaced the rear bags with normal springs, I gotta check that again. If they are indeed missing, Ill get new airbags for it. The engine doesn't overheat and the transmission shifts smoothly so right now it needs just a bit of TLC.

Considering I only paid 2400£ for this rust free car (no dents either) I think Ive done a good deal. :D

Only 1 camera phone pic for now, have to take more later:

Foto1434_zps46828dab.jpg

Yeah, after searching for a GOOD Mark VIII in Germany for ages I decided to just buy the one Ive seen in the UK (where Im currently living) in late November.

Its a 1995 ivory pearlescent LSC with a saddle interior (which is good because my other Mark VIII got the same). For some reason it has the 20 spoke directional wheels on and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't notice that when he imported the car from Florida in 2007. Maybe I can find 10 spokes (chrome would be perfect) somewhere where I don't have to pay twice what they are worth for shipping alone.

It doesn't have the HIDs, the current headlights are a bit faded anyway so Im gonna replace them with the ones on my other car which still were pretty nice. I also have to replace the taillight because someone thought its a good idea to glue amber aftermarket lenses ON the taillight. Apart from that it needs new fluids, the interior needs to be cleaned a bit and I might have to replace some small things. The previous owner told me he replaced the rear bags with normal springs, I gotta check that again. If they are indeed missing, Ill get new airbags for it. The engine doesn't overheat and the transmission shifts smoothly so right now it needs just a bit of TLC.

Considering I only paid 2400£ for this rust free car (no dents either) I think Ive done a good deal. :D

Only 1 camera phone pic for now, have to take more later:

Foto1434_zps46828dab.jpg

Wow, I love it. If '95 LSC's are a bit rare here in the States I'm sure you have one hell of a rare car in your country! Congratulations!

Wow, I love it. If '95 LSC's are a bit rare here in the States I'm sure you have one hell of a rare car in your country! Congratulations!

Haha thanks. I have to say, I have never seen a 1st gen LSC in Germany or the UK, not even on photos or anything. There cant be many of them around.

Yup, gotta clean those rims up and it'll look much better..painted 10 spokes were standard in late 95 and if you wanted chrome wheels the 20 spokes were optional..wasn't until 96 that they offered chrome 10 spokes..and even then they are pretty rare. Only reason I know this is because I have my original window sticker which lists the option.

markfall2.jpg

Yeah, they are looking pretty nice once cleaned. Gotta check if I can make them bling again :D I didnt know they were an option and that you couldn't get the chrome 10 spokes until '96. Always learning something new.

Yeah, why throw them away if you can polish and make them look nice again.

So the battery died after the car was parked over the weekend (we'll have to find out whether its just because its old or if somethings draining it) so we kept it running for a while. As you can see we got a bit bored. Considering its a bone stock car, including the exhaust and all (the owner thinks they removed the insides of the 3rd cat though) its sounding not bad at all when you are standing right next to it. The camera phone video doesn't do it justice though.

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC exhaust sound test - YouTube

Alright guys, finally got all the car documents from the DVLA which means Im pretty much ready to get it to Germany and go through the inspection.

I need your help though!

Since the Mark VIII was never officially sold in Germany, the car will get a "special" inspection where the guys will go through the car to see if its roadworthy and legal for German roads. The good thing is, the more official information (like datasheets, brochures, official manufacturer documents and so on) about the Lincoln Mark VIII I can deliver the better because it will greatly reduce the time and money needed to get it on the road.

If you have anything that might be useful to get the car through the inspection with as little hassle as possible (like emissions data, ...) please post it here.

I already got quite a bit of data from my previous vehicle but I guess you can never have enough.

I have the dealer brochure (the 40 page one), and a window sticker from 96. I dont know how much help it will be but let me know.

Post everything you got, even if it wont help me with the inspection it might be interesting for others! The dealer brochure should contain some very useful information though.

Well, wanted to get it on the road today but couldn't make it for various reasons, mostly the original light setup (red indicators aren't accepted over here anymore). Since I have to get back to the UK on Sunday I will have to wait a couple of months before I can try it again, enough time to fix what needs to be fixed before I can register it.

This was my first week of driving the car since I got it and I noticed a couple of things I didn't before, some of them I mentioned in my other thread.

1.) The fan sometimes doesn't seem to come on causing the car to get very warm in city driving. That's probably the reason why the coolant hose burst on Tuesday. I am not sure why it doesn't work sometimes but its very annoying. When I drive or the fan is working the needle stays in the middle or below it. The heater core needs replacing too, right now its bypassed because it leaks.

2.) The ABS light is on and traction control off, not exactly sure yet what might be the problem. slowmkviii mentioned the abs sensors, but how can I find out which one might be the problem?

3.) The check engine light is on as well. We used it yesterday to get some error codes and heres what we got: 172, 175, 176, 52, 45, 86. Most of them indicate that the car is running too lean (which explains the kinda bad mileage I think) and that at least one sensor (probably in the third cat the previous owner messed up) isn't working or gets wrong data so I guess Ill have to get a new third cat. Any help what exactly it means would be very appreciated. ;)

4.) The front anti-roll-bar seems to be kinda lose, or something that is hitting it. You can clearly hear clunking noises when you hit it. Not sure if its the bushings or rust that caused it to break, but it looked alright when took a quick glance.

Apart from that its just minor stuff that shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just kinda sucks I cant drive it for another 3 months or so, and I probably wont drive it in the winter. The good news is, the horn fixed itself, I got new tires (with kinda crappy grip...) and the rest of the car seems to work fine, including all the bells and whistles inside, apart from the cigarette lighters in the front and back. And the hot air :D

Also, random question: Whats the square box thats glued to the top of the rear window inside the car above the back seats? Looks like some kinda of antenna (theres a cable coming out of it, maybe for the car phone?)

I plan to start ordering parts and fix the most important issues when I get paid at the end of the month. Right now its only the rear bags and possibly an abs and O2 sensor.

Like I said earlier I used the check engine light to get some error codes using the key on engine off way. If the list at the bottom here http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/ is right I get the following codes:

45 - AIR not Diverting (AIRD) - Air Injection OR? Electronic Ignition - coil primary circuit failure - Ignition Systems

52 - Power Steering Pressure Switch/circuit open - PSP OR? (R) Did you turn wheel during test ? (might have done that)

dont quite get this one: 86 - 2 3L or 2 9L Truck - A4LD 3/4 shift solenoid - Transmissions OR? (M) 1 9L MFI - System has corrected lean condition - Fuel control (I dont have these engines in the car, why is it displaying this code?)

172 - (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

175 - (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was at adaptive limits - Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

176 - (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

Seems like the engine is running too lean right now, I noticed I get like 15mpg constantly (no matter if city, highway 70mph or 110mph). Could the reason be code 45, maybe a vacuum leak somewhere causing too much air in the system, so the engine management tries to solve the problem by injecting more fuel? I am also pretty sure I got an exhaust leak somewhere, not sure if thats part of the problem making it worse. Also the owner removed the 3rd cat before I got the car, he said it was clogged.

eh, the mark doesn't really do 2 digit codes... just 3 digit codes.
those 2 digit codes were from an older system, like the 89 SHO, it outputs in 2 digit codes.

Crap, didnt know that. I thought it would give me the error codes by blinking like x times for the first digit, x times for the second, x for the third if there is one with only a short pause between each digit, with long pause/one flash/long pause in between each code. How did I get 2 and 3 digit codes if it not like that:confused:

What 3 digit code could the 2 digit codes be then...

Awesome, didn't know that post yet! I'll try to get the fault codes from both the check engine and abs light again tomorrow. The check engine light stayed off since the last time, thats about 500 miles ago. Dunno why it didnt came back on yet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back