Need help installing amp to factory HU

2003ls

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 ls v8 with nav and thx speaker system and im trying to install a Line output converter. Its was installed under the rear deck spliced into the wires right next to the factory amp. The problem im having is there is very very little sound output coming from my sub...almost as if the signal is too weak. I also have the amp input sensitivity at 100%. Im running a fixed line loc with a jl audio 500/1 amp and a jl10w7. Any help as to what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated,thanks

You don't need the converter the thx already outputs it ready for your amp to use. When my rear deck speakers blew I replaced both the factory amp (then i placed it back) and new speakers all i did was take a pair of RCA cables and cut them and spliced the original wires to it and plugged my RCA into the amp. So no conversion from high to low is necessary.

make sure that one of the inputs for your line output converter is not out of phase, if one of the pairs of wires is reversed, then one channel will cancel out the other.

Thanks for the help,it ended up that you can't have the factory amp hooked up as well as a aftermarket amp installed because the factory head unit picks them both up and it has some sort of protection mode so you dont blow your speakers. You have to run one or the other. I got it working but had to go without the factory subs...which are the thx 6x9s. Thanks again

sorry to bring up an old thread, but how did you end up wiring the amp. i am having the same problem with my ls sport (6 cd)

where did you tap into for the LOC? did you get the OEM speaker wire or the signal wires?

where did you tap into for the LOC? did you get the OEM speaker wire or the signal wires?

at first i tried to tap into the left factory sub(grey/ orange and white/green). but the signal was weak like the OP had. after that i took the tap off and did the my tap before the factory amp in the trunk(grey/red and white/red)

i am only installing one sub so i just need one signal since it is mono in the rear.

Last edited:
I keep going over all my wiring and I am double checking all connections. I justseem to be stuck on the low/ weak signal output.

if your tapping into the OEM signal wires (factory amps inputs) then you dont want to use a LOC, solder RCA ends directly to those wires and plug into the amp...

if your tapping into the OEM signal wires (factory amps inputs) then you dont want to use a LOC, solder RCA ends directly to those wires and plug into the amp...

is it really as easy as that!!!! :confused::Bang:bowrofl:
i will try it out. thank you

well if you're starting with a low level signal, you don't want to cut that down further with a Line Output Converter.

if you're gonna use a LOC, you need to wire in the LOC to the speaker wires either at the output of the amp or right at the speakers themselves.

if you're gonna use a LOC, you need to wire in the LOC to the speaker wires either at the output of the amp or right at the speakers themselves.

that is where i had originally taped the loc but i had the same problem as i do now, low/weak signal.

thats weird, I done it quite a few times without problem, were the subs still playing or were they quiet too?

Members online

Back