need help with rear brakes asap!

Boyoshi

LVC Member
Reaction score
I cant get the caliper to compress i used a c clamp to try and compress it, but nothing is there a special way to do this if so let me know. I need it done asap. I already tried to search but nothing. Thanks

The function of the parking brake mechanism is such that the outer end of the piston actually screws out as the brake is used. There is a tool you can rent or buy that makes it easy to screw that end back in, although it's also possible to do so with something home made or even with a punch or pair of screwdrivers. With the right stuff, it's actually quite easy.
KS

quickest and easiest thing to use would be a small putty knife. Do NOT, I repeat, do not attempt to compress the piston using a vice grip or c-clamp any further. Doing so will damage or ruin your parking break.

I actually used a pair of needle nose pliers to screw mine back in but +1 on don't try to press it back it, won't work...

i bought the right tool from harbor freight for around $25 and did each side in about 15 minutes

EDIT: damn joe you beat me to it... Again

go to one of the auto stores

autozone and a few others rent you the tool for free. go get it, makes the job a real breeze.

I just had to buy a key thing and it fixed it fine for me.

Its like a 10 dollar part

Just curious, are front brakes the same way or do you use a c-clamp to compress the piston?

Members online

No members online now.
Back