Need help with the "SLOWNESS"

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My moms 02 Town car hasn't been running right for quite some time. During WOT, when it approaches high RPM, and it's about to shift, it really bogs down.
You can see this here
YouTube - Town car Slowness
This was how it was 70,000 miles ago
YouTube - Lincoln town car 0-80 (Stock)

It was also pinging at high RPM but it seems to be gone after putting 93 octane gas and octane booster. Before she used to put 93 but when the gas prices went up, she downgraded to 87. Although it should work fine on 87 as that is what it requires for, but the mechanic said nowadays they are putting way too much ethanol in the gas and it causes trouble for the older cars. Seems to be true because it hasn't pinged yet.

well that's the background info....The reason I went to the mechanic was for the SEL for P0430. (Catalyst Efficiency bank 1...I think) I was happy that it finally threw that code because now I would have something to look for but I don't think this is what is causing the car to be this slow. What do you guys think it is?:confused:I don't want to spend $500 to replace this CAT and still not have this issue resolved.

BTW it's a single exhaust system and sorry for the long post.

your car should not ping unless you have a ton of carbon build up or for witch the computer cant compensate for or a clog in the coolant passage somewhere my guess
I would run some sea foam in the gas and intake car should run best on good clean 87 octane
I am tired so my answer is not my best sorry

I have tried seafoam with no luck. After a few more drives in the car, it still seems to ping but not as much. I guess next is replacing the Catalytic converter and see if that helps. If you guys can recommend something else to narrow down the problem it would be great.

pinging has nothing to do with the cat. It is a timing issue or a compression issue. (carbon build up on the pistons) Are your plugs firing properly?

pinging has nothing to do with the cat. It is a timing issue or a compression issue. (carbon build up on the pistons) Are your plugs firing properly?

It was a clogged CAT, runs like new now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back