need major quick help on my 00 LS

5at38off

LVC Member
Reaction score
my radio lights have been out for a while so I took the radio out to check the wiring. I did not see anything wrong so I hooked everything back up. when I cranked the car up it acted very strange. As I went up the road the advancetrac light came on, then abs, then airbag, everything got very dim, then all the gauge lights went out, then my head lights went out and the battery light came on. now the car is on the side of the road. anyone got a clue, Im to drive a 5hr trip in the morning..

Sounds like the alternator is dead, and driving it might have just killed the battery as well. Take the battery to Autozone and have it tested and charged. Put it back in the car and either get it home or to Autozone to have the alternator tested.

ok. got the car home and charged the battery. cranked it up and put a volt meter on the battery. It went from 12.75v to 10.13v in less than 2 minutes. battery is only a month old so I guess the alt is shot. oh well for driving for the holidays tomorrow.. could it be anything else?.

when my alternator went out, i would be driving and all of a sudden i'd lose power and my tach needle would start jumping like crazy, did that about 4 or 5 times, and i got a new one, then about 3 months later my battery died, and i had no way to get a jump, and i was tired of dealing with it, it had died once about a week prior to that, so i bought a new one, havent had any electrical related problems since then, i was told that it put my battery into shock, so you might want to think about getting a new one...

went this morning to get the alt checked. it was putting out between 10-11v I ordered a new Remy alt. It is new not reman but I dont know much about Remy. hope it does the trick.

Never heard of them. The fact that its "New" is a good sign though. Ive learned my lesson with remanufactured alternators long ago.

thirdeye isn't necessarily very far off base on the battery. Lead Acid batteries can not handle being fully discharged more than a couple times; actually, once it has been fully discharged one time, it will never again put out the same current. However, depending on age of battery and how many times it's been cycled... you might be okay... might not.

my battery is about 1 month old. it is a motorcraft I got from Ford for $120.00. right now with the volt meter it is showing 12.2v and is disconnected from the car..I guess I will see when I put the alt in next week. Im at the beach driving my 87 Thunderbird.

i just went to advanced and bought an alternator...still want a better one, but mine is working fine so far...the one i got was remanufactured i believe...but anyways, it works...

Members online

No members online now.
Back