New 3.58 Gears?

hmmmmm I dont THINK it should matter. its just the carrier thats getting swapped. Thats why you can use an Auburn or an Eaton just the same. I can look into it some for the purpose of knowing what the right answer is

Well, what I am talking about is in the side gears of the carrier, if you look at the internal splines of the carrier, part way in there, will be a groove cut out. Then if you look on the splines for the axles that will be a ring about 3/16 of an inch from then end. The ring expands into the groove, and that is what keeps the axle from sliding out, it isn't a complete lock, but it holds it there, so that when taking the axles out of the diff, you have to jerk on it, and it will pop out. Most aftermarket diffs have the grooves cut in them, they can be used in an IRS or a solid axle, but I am not sure if the factory ones from a solid axle would have them.

dealer or junk yard....

i have no clue about the trac locs specifics. Sorry bro. I went with a eaton locker

you should do some homework on the different types of LSDs before picking one that suits your needs - most people will say the one they picked is the best...

- there are different internals - some use friction clutches, some don't
- different magnification ratios
- some have pre-load (so if a wheel has zero traction - there is a pre-loaded amount on the other axle)
- noise

IMO, I wouldn't even bother swapping in 3.58s from the 3.31s. You're hardly going to notice a difference. You'll see more of a difference from adding a limited slip diff.

Wait a minute, you have a second gen LS that come with the 3.58 gears! How sure are you about that statement?!

Wait a minute, you have a second gen LS that come with the 3.58 gears! How sure are you about that statement?!

Its a fact. A 200 rpm diff on the highway isnt gonna be much different outta the hole. May help a bit if you have a little taller tire than stock on your car tho. I guess that being said, even if it isnt really gonna change much, I'd prolly do it anyways. A "posi" of some kind would prolly be a welcome addition at that point as well... To any vehicle for that matter.

RPM calculator..... Kinda fun to play with a bit... http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Because I had a car that had an 8.8 rear that you could actually bolt stuff into - which went from a 3.27 trac-lok to a 4.10 trac-lok.

If you're going to go through the trouble of tearing into the rear end, at the very least do 4.10s. Trust me when I tell you the difference between 3.31s and 3.58 is minor. You'll hardly notice any better acceleration. You WILL notice a trac-lok addition more than the gear swap.

Why not do both at the same time though? I'm not arguing that it may be only a little gain and nothing drastic but I'm going to be in there anyway's why not...

3.73's won't fit in the stock pumpkin right? I believe that's been covered.

If that's what you want to do, then by all means do it. I certainly wouldn't put used gears in, but that's just me.

Who said I was going to use used gears? I simply ask what everybody else is using and if they just swap out pumpkins from vehicles with the 3.58 gears. If I do this upgrade then I'll put a new carrier and gears in. I'm not building a rat rod here...

Members online

No members online now.
Back