new coils, plugs and vgc still hesitating?

mjc02ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice. I changed all eight coils, eight plugs and put a new valve cover gasket on the passenger side due to oil in plugs and my car is still hesitating. I did notice that when my windows are down that the car gives off an odd odor. Could it be my cats and if so could this be the reason for the hesitating. Everything that i bought is motorcraft. Also could my o2 sensors be gone because of this and if so are they gone because of the cats and will they be covered under warranty. My car is an 02 v8 with 38k. Any and all help is appreciated.

when yu say hesitation, you mean rough idle that then goes away as soon as you start driving?

it does go away when i step on the gas, but it shutters and shakes when it's between gears and when i am stopped at a light

Im having the same issue, the odor can equal CATS, however, if you think about it, it can very well need new injectors as well. Most likely the car isnt running on all 8 cylinders and then as soon as I get going, it does, which definetely sounds like an injector issues. Whats the CEL read?

i just had all eight plugs/coils replaced. Along with 2 O2 sensors.

It drives like a dream!

All hesitation is gone.The car started to have a bad smell too, which is also gone.

It might very well be the O2 sensors.

what's the deal with injectors, are they hard to put in for me doing it. As for the o2 sensors would they be covered under warranty because the cats made them go bad and if they're not how much are they

i know what you are talking about with the odd smell. mine was misfiring and shaking, and although after replacing two coils it stopped shaking, the odd smell still remains. i get the 0420 code with the CEL. which means the cats is not functioning properly. i am looking into the O2 sensors. will let you know. as for the shaking, i would look at the injectors.

i looked up the price on team ford for a fuel injector and it was like $50 anyways is that the price for one of them or do they come in a set

how many o2 sensors on a 2000 lincoln ls v8 with dual exaust?

No way you're getting 8 injectors for 50 bucks unless they're very used, so plan on that being $50 each new.

I had coils and plugs done and still was having the same issue intermittently after a little while and took it back to the dealer last week...they had to replace the Cat Converter...under warranty ofcourse.

...and the car has only 50K miles. CAT Converter factory warranty is 6 years 80K miles...coils and plugs were 100K miles because of some campaign/recall, FYI. I received a letter advising me from Ford.

damn that makes me nervous, i'm about to do the coil/plug/vcg swap myself but i've had the P0430 CEL for a long time and hoping that i don't need the cat replaced because i'm out of warranty, both dealer & federal emissions warranty.

Jerrod - do you have a copy of that letter or is it available online anywhere? also, about the cat warranty... is it 6 years, 80k miles in terms of whichever comes first? last time i checked that, i thought it was 7 years or 70k. i believe it's a federal warranty, not based on states or dealerships. i've never had a straight, definite answer on this so hoping you have one!

Yeah, I have a copy. I keep it because I have been having multiple check engine light issues and all stemmed from that campaign I believe. Coils, plugs, egr, and Cat converter so far. Hopefully, that is it.

I am not exactly 100% sure about the year for Cat Converter warranty. The work was just done last week and I remember the service rep telling me 80K for sure but I thought he said 6 years.

I posted that same letter that I got for my 03 last year. Search this forum for "Program 07M07" and you should find it.

He could have possibly said 7 years 80K. I just remember 80K. I looked under my car and they replace alot of parts...just not the Cat Converter. It must have been an assembly because some of the pipes are new as well and the some other stuff under there looked brand new.

NYC LS8...I noticed on your pics your gas mileage was almost 20MPG? Did you do something extra to help that or is it normal. Mine is never that good...NEVER. Usually like 15mpg.

I had just replaced the cluster after pulling it out to put the white faced gauges in there, so it got reset. Mine's never that good either. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back