new guy here, tough decision.........

Mussin

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new car.. I have narrowed the field to either the Lincoln LS or the Cadillac Seville STS. I figured this would be a good fourm huh? My question is on the Lincoln LS, how do they hold up as far a high mileage? I am looking at spending around $8000 for a high mileage V8 Ls or a high mileage STS. What should I look for as far as the LS (good or bad) I have my eye on a 99 STS with 80,000 miles on the clock for $7500, it is in EXCELLENT shape. Only thing wrong with it is it leaks a bit of oil. What are some of the things that go bad on the LS on a high mileage one?? I take it you guys like the LS over the caddy..

Thanks Jeremy

Looks, a little speed and great handling, go with the LS
Smooth ride, comfortable, and a little speed and alright looks, go with the Caddy.
The Ls is a hit and miss type of car. Some people have problem after problem, while other have 147,000 miles on theirs and have only had a few problems. Do a search on coils, overheating, transmission, clockspring, door handles, and that will cover most major problems ever had with the LS. Not sure about the Caddy.

Looks, a little speed and great handling, go with the LS
Smooth ride, comfortable, and a little speed and alright looks, go with the Caddy.
The Ls is a hit and miss type of car. Some people have problem after problem, while other have 147,000 miles on theirs and have only had a few problems. Do a search on coils, overheating, transmission, clockspring, door handles, and that will cover most major problems ever had with the LS. Not sure about the Caddy.

+2

Front wheel drive and a starter that's under the intake manifold would be enough to keep me away from the STS.

the caddys carfax is clean... What is a better motor the Lincoln V6 or V8? I talked to a mechanic friend of mine had he said the lincoln is bad for Valve cover gaskets, bad coils, valve body problems. The Caddy suffers from oil leaks and every once in a while a Head Gasket.. TOUGH CALL :(

I do live in Ohio.. How does the LS do in the ice/snow?

Jeremy

I think the LS gets better with miles (I hope). I got 125000 miles on mine and it runs stronger than ever. I was thinking of selling it, but I might hold on to it.

Go with LS, Seville looks good also, but LS has better handling.

I think the LS gets better with miles (I hope). I got 125000 miles on mine and it runs stronger than ever. I was thinking of selling it, but I might hold on to it.

Go with LS, Seville looks good also, but LS has better handling.

Your car is NICE, I love the grill.

Jeremy

I bought mine 13 months ago with 89,xxx miles. Replaced 1 window regulator, ignition coils and a bum A/C system. Otherwise, smooth ride, great looks, and not a very common car (in most areas).

As far as winter driving, I wouldn't make it option #1 when its snowing outside. I would take out my g/f Neon whenever possible, if thats any indication of how much I dreaded going out in bad weather.

Only thing I would have done differently is looked into some sort of warranty. I know there was recent thread about which ones everyone went with.

Welcome and good luck!

If it's a hile mileage LS usually the owner would have fixed the bugs in it by then I would think.

the caddys carfax is clean... What is a better motor the Lincoln V6 or V8? I talked to a mechanic friend of mine had he said the lincoln is bad for Valve cover gaskets, bad coils, valve body problems. The Caddy suffers from oil leaks and every once in a while a Head Gasket.. TOUGH CALL :(

I do live in Ohio.. How does the LS do in the ice/snow?

Jeremy

I drove my LSE through the last Ohio winter with no porblems and actually my wife preferred my car over her Mercedes C32 this winter if that helps at all.

Thats a really low price.
Have you thought about taking it to a certified mechanic to have them check it out?
I know a Tires Plus by my old neighborhood that gave a discounted price for car buyers looking to purchase a used car. Ask around and see what you find.
If anything, you spend $50 (if that) to find out a $5000 investment isn't worth it.

Thats a really low price.
Have you thought about taking it to a certified mechanic to have them check it out?
I know a Tires Plus by my old neighborhood that gave a discounted price for car buyers looking to purchase a used car. Ask around and see what you find.
If anything, you spend $50 (if that) to find out a $5000 investment isn't worth it.

agreed, that thing looks pristine on the inside, from what it looks the seats look like they've never been sat in

Thanks guys.. I know the Caddy Rpis in the snow, friend at work has one. Anyway here is the LS I am looking at:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=8000&cardist=100

The carfax cameback clean, looks too good to be true??

Jeremy

alotta love here 4 the ls but just a min ago there was madd hate bout those valve covers n coilpacks.........

hey that's a really nice lookin LS for under $5gs. I say drive it and buy it if everything seams fine.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: High mileage cars are more likely to have problems. Why do you want a high mileage car? Can't afford a lower mileage one? There are some good late model/low mileage lease returns on the LS that are sold at great prices.

I would not get a 2000 LS. It was the first year of the car with a new engine, new platform, new trans, etc. As can be expected, there were more problems on that year than other years. However, that said, most are now known issues for which fixes are available.

I am looking for a higher mileage car (cheaper) for an everyday driver. I called about the $4,900 lincoln and it has ele issues, the seat and tach arent working. He said the car runs great though. I'll pass.

in the snow...

Mussin.
If you head to Lorain , keep going(north that is)...Hit the water and cross ,you'll find my town(in the vacinity) AND the same weather as you...LOL My neighbors always comment on how sharp my Ls is.They're also the first ones to laugh when I have to take a run from the road to get up into my garage when it snows.They SUCK in the snow.Wifes mini van all the way!!!
You also forgot to mention children?My back seat is car seat , car seat , car seat...Not easy to get to the middle seat there.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back