New here Just bought my first Lincoln Mark VIII

BlackKarmaMKVIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
And I love it. It's a wonderful car. But one thing that gets me. Did I get a good deal?

Here's what I purchased this morning:

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. It's got 191,000 miles on it, but the previous owner who purchased it new from a dealer in Florida meticulously maintained it with proven oil changes every 3500 miles. All maintenance was performed with all receipts. Everything on the vehicle works. The paint's clearcoat is faded and gone in some areas, and very few dings and no scratches. Black leather interior with a Pioneer XM-ready CD player with remote. Everything aside from the radio and tires are original.

I paid $700 for this car, and I'm just trying to figure out if I got a good deal or not.

That, and I wanted to welcome myself to the site, considering this is my first Lincoln Mark VIII. The last Lincoln I owned was a 1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe.

Welcome!!!

Great Deal!!!!
Welcome to the Club....Love Those Mark VIII's!!!!
And I love it. It's a wonderful car. But one thing that gets me. Did I get a good deal?

Here's what I purchased this morning:

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. It's got 191,000 miles on it, but the previous owner who purchased it new from a dealer in Florida meticulously maintained it with proven oil changes every 3500 miles. All maintenance was performed with all receipts. Everything on the vehicle works. The paint's clearcoat is faded and gone in some areas, and very few dings and no scratches. Black leather interior with a Pioneer XM-ready CD player with remote. Everything aside from the radio and tires are original.

I paid $700 for this car, and I'm just trying to figure out if I got a good deal or not.

That, and I wanted to welcome myself to the site, considering this is my first Lincoln Mark VIII. The last Lincoln I owned was a 1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe.

$700 for a well running car is a good price no matter what. I'd say, these cars need fairly expensive parts changed pretty much monthly (alternator, air bags sensors... you name it). If it doesn't leak now, you should be in the clear with that, watch out for stuttering- not fun.

Welcome and enjoy the leather interior and 285hp.

If it has orignal tires on it you should probly change them. Yeah I love these cars but they do get expensive.

it says everything except the radio and tires are original. not it has the original tires.

Not too shabby.....

There will be a little maintenance here and there, but nothing too crazy. I would just drive the wheels off and fix it when it breaks.

Yup, it's got brand new tires, with receipt. This guy took remarkably good care of this car. I will post pictures as soon as I can get hold of a camera. But if someone could help me with something, since this is my first Mark VIII:

How do I let air out of the air ride system? It's too full and rides a little rough, and I've been told to let some air out of the system to give it a smoother ride.

It should vent on its own... when you park the car and close the door it should drop, and when you drive over 50 mph or so for about a minute it should drop too...

It doesn't. The compressor switch is off in the trunk. Should I turn it on? I had an old 1994 Crown Vic with air ride in the back, and I know when I jacked it up and set it back down the bags emptied. I turned the compressor back on to fill them up.

Sorry for being retarted about these cars. I'll learn as I go.

It's computer controlled. If it's sitting too high, make sure that the air ride is turned on. The switch is in the trunk.

If it's not venting that means either the vent solenoid is stuck closed or the ride height sensors aren't working properly. Noting that it's a Florida car, I'm inclined to say that the vent is sticking.

Contact American Air Suspension and get the SPIDER VALVE. It'll bypass the old vent solenoid build into the compressor, and it'll also include a water separator that'll extend the life of the other components.

It doesn't. The compressor switch is off in the trunk. Should I turn it on? I had an old 1994 Crown Vic with air ride in the back, and I know when I jacked it up and set it back down the bags emptied. I turned the compressor back on to fill them up.

Sorry for being retarted about these cars. I'll learn as I go.

We posted at about the same time.
Yes, make sure the Air Ride is turned on- but BEWARE.
The dealer might have pulled a fast one on you. If there is a problem, it'll become evident once the system is activated. It might become immediately evident and that could be a problem, otherwise you might not notice it until the next morning.

As mentioned in the last post, AMERICAN AIR SUSPENSION is my favorite choice for air ride parts.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know until you turn it back on... And it should always be left on.

Turn it on at night...then in the morning if the front/back is dropped, you'll know if you need new bags. :D

Thanks for the advice. I turned on the switch in the trunk, and am going to let it sit overnight. I'll also look up the Spider Valve for American Air Suspension. Thanks for the advice. I'll post again in the morning to let you all know about the results.

I have discovered a culprit for non working compressors, I got curious when I was at the car wash with Eddie (Kracker) and I found the fix to the compressors insanly easy, If you guys like I can get with Kracker and post up a write up on how to renew your stock compressors.

Turn it on at night...then in the morning if the front/back is dropped, you'll know if you need new bags. :D

If he needs new bags, the car would drop anyway, regardless of whether or not the system is turned on. :shifty:

If it hasn't leaked so far, chances are it won't, unless it's a very, very slow leak.

If he turns it on and then it leaks, he's got different problems.

Well, good news. The car didn't sink to the ground. So it seems that everything is in working order on the air ride system. I did find out however, that the bushings on the passenger front suspension need to be replaced. There is a LOT of play, and I can push the wheel back and forth with my foot. $39 for new bushings at the local KOI. Anyone have any idea how easy they are to replace?

And no, the car doesn't have the original tires. I mentioned that earlier.

I'm surprised no one said it before. At 191,000 miles the suspension components should need to be replaced (if not already). At 118k I replaced both upper control arms, lower control arms, sway bar end links, and the strut rod bushings (whats making your wheel move like that). This may have been done already (search your receipts) and you may be out of it for $39. Don't get disappointed if you need to replace these as well.

If you do need to replace more, all components can be purchased for a tbird (I chose the 96 tbird with the 'handling package' for my parts from advance) except for the upper control arms, which have a stud for the ride height sensor. If your handy you can dremel this stud off your old ones and reuse.

Back in forth as front to back or left to right? you may need ball joints before the bushings give, trust me Im on set 4 in the span of a year. I put alot of torture on the poor ball joints.

Members online

No members online now.
Back