new member, rear suspension q

edmarquez08

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new and I've been a " lurker" for a while and I have tried to search for a similar thread and nothing comes up. I have a 05 ls8 sport. My question is on my right rear wheel the rim sits leaned in like the cars that are lowered and has a lot of negative camber. What would cause this if I have stock sport suspension? Bad shock, toe link sway link, ball joint?

Car has stock 16's on stock tire size. 81k

Thanks in advance

Bad coil over shock, broken coil spring, bad upper control arm bushing or ball joint. Jack up the car and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try to move the wheel up and down. If its loose then have someone do this while you are under the car and look to see where the movement is.

On another note, I didn't think the sport suspension came with 16" wheels. Maybe I thought wrong.

...On another note, I didn't think the sport suspension came with 16" wheels. Maybe I thought wrong.

All gen II V8s are sport. I've only seen gen II V6s with 16s, but I probably haven't seen everything.

All gen II V8s are sport. I've only seen gen II V6s with 16s, but I probably haven't seen everything.

Canadians were able to get a sport and non-sport with either engine. Also, there was a special order cold weather option that came with 16" wheels since you're not supposed to use chains with the 17 inchers. I know a guy in OK with one.

The LS naturally has a bit of negative rear camber......

Bad coil over shock, broken coil spring, bad upper control arm bushing or ball joint. Jack up the car and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try to move the wheel up and down. If its loose then have someone do this while you are under the car and look to see where the movement is.

On another note, I didn't think the sport suspension came with 16" wheels. Maybe I thought wrong.

I would feel the diff from one side to the other with a broken spring. It does not have sag just leans in. Would the toe link cause this?

Canadians were able to get a sport and non-sport with either engine. Also, there was a special order cold weather option that came with 16" wheels since you're not supposed to use chains with the 17 inchers. I know a guy in OK with one.

The LS naturally has a bit of negative rear camber......

The car is from N.J. so that would explain the rims.
Yes IRS cars normally do have the neg camber. But my problem is that it is very
Excessive.

The car is from N.J. so that would explain the rims.
Yes IRS cars normally do have the neg camber. But my problem is that it is very
Excessive.

Did you purchase the car new? As all wheels fit all years a previous owner may have installed the 16 inchers. You would have had to special order the car with 16" wheels....

I would think any failed/failing suspension part would cause funky handling. IMHO, if it's that bad it's time to head to an alignment shop.

Did you purchase the car new? As all wheels fit all years a previous owner may have installed the 16 inchers. You would have had to special order the car with 16" wheels....

I would think any failed/failing suspension part would cause funky handling. IMHO, if it's that bad it's time to head to an alignment shop.

the handling is good, I can release the wheel and the car drives straight. I am not the original owner but I have the history report. It could be that the previous owner did put those on there. I originals had that plan to take it to the alignment shop but if something was broken I rather replace it than pay someone to do it. I Can do my own alignment as I have access to a machine. I am just curious and want to ask here what would be good places to start.

Since there is no camber adjustment in the rear, an alignment will do you no good. If the camber is worse on one side then you have something broken, worn or bent. The toe link adjusts toe, not camber and will have little to no effect on camber. Jack the car up and start inspecting connections to the hub/spindle and also the connections to the subframe.

Since there is no camber adjustment in the rear, an alignment will do you no good. If the camber is worse on one side then you have something broken, worn or bent. The toe link adjusts toe, not camber and will have little to no effect on camber. Jack the car up and start inspecting connections to the hub/spindle and also the connections to the subframe.

So I got a chance to look under the car and I can see the toe link is bent up!!!!!:eek::eek: would the toe link cause the camber to go like that?

Ps I have pic and am trying to upload them.

So I got a chance to look under the car and I can see the toe link is bent up!!!!!:eek::eek: would the toe link cause the camber to go like that?

Maybe, but whatever was hit that caused that damage to the toe link, probably caused other damage down there. Some other damage may be the cause of the camber issue.

I would think so..... Though I would think it would cause positive camber..... I am most likely wrong in that assessment.....

Maybe, but whatever was hit that caused that damage to the toe link, probably caused other damage down there. Some other damage may be the cause of the camber issue.

I have looked at all the other parts and components and they look like they are ok, the sway bar link is shot. The toe link is bent down like it was pulled on so I can see how it would cause neg camber. It holding the hub in at an angle. Any one have the dezza links? Do you recommend them?

I have the Deeza toe links. They are about a year old and doing fine so far

Thanks for this great info Hite, I had already purchased the Deeza linkages and still needed to install them, given the OEM's have become available now again, I might just grab some of those OE's and keep the Deeza's on the parts shelf here ... Glad to hear the Deeza's hold up good.

I would like to second the Deezas, I have the toe links and sway bar end links installed for over 2 years now. No problems :)

Seamless tubing and Heim joints are your friends when dealing with both Toe links and sway bar links.:)

KS

How do the guys with lowered rides keep their suspension straight and not add camber?

How do the guys with lowered rides keep their suspension straight and not add camber?

There are camber bolts for the front. The rear isn't adjustable, but if you use Eibach springs the camber will be on the edge of acceptable at -1º.

Ok so I will be ordering the dezza links when my income check arrives, and I will be replacing all the rear joints. Hopefully it helps with this weird issue.

Thank you guys for your input, I am glad to have found this site.

Members online

No members online now.
Back