New Member + RotorPros Package

galvorn

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi there, been lurking here for awhile now being the proud owner of a silver 06 LS for the past couple of years (~80K mi on the old gal)
Mods done :
- SCT X3 tune
- Vibrant 1207 exhaust tips
- Pioneer AVIC Z140BH HU
- Slotted + Drilled rotors
- StopTech SS lines
- M3 lip spoiler
- LEDs (all interior, puddles, reverse)

Ran into a sticky driver-side rear caliper (that or the e-brake cable for that side is goofy).
Long story short, need a brake job (rear driver-side pad down to ~3mm, while all others are still ~7mm), and figured I would do the whole shebang at once (pads + rotors).

Got in touch with Rich at RotorPros and have a set of the drilled+slotted rotors + ceramic pads on the way here.
Damned good price too ($220 shipped - LVC forum special!). Hope a quick plug for them isn't against the regs (since we've done a group buy from them in the past) :

ROTORPROS
Sixty to Zero made EASY!
www.ROTORPROS.net
** available for all makes and models
Please Spread the Word!!
***all ROTORPROS rotors are back by a 2 year warranty against defects.....

ROTORPROS is probably the "ONLY COMPANY " out there that builds our items "MADE TO ORDER FROM SCRATCH"... this ensures not only the truest ( straightest ) quality rotors and freshest zinc plating but also the nicest looking custom color coated rotors available...."ANYWHERE'... Thank you for your patience and understanding when it comes to our processing, shipping and arrival times.... If you happen to have an "URGENT" deadline please let us know ASAP and we will try our best to accommodate your specific installation needs!

ROTORPROS is now offering a $10 referral program for any buying customer you can send our way!!
Please tell everyone you can about us via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or even just word of mouth.....
We really appreciate you as a customer.. Thanks
*****PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK ( rotorpros.net )

Here's a pic of the old gal :
galvorn_ls.jpg

Make sure you have the right tool and the right procedure for retracting the rear brake pistons...
(Also, it's very unlikely to be a one-sided parking brake problem. It's much more likely that one of the dust boots split and one of your slide pins (and the bracket) is messed up.) Be sure to get new boots and slide pins. You may need the bracket on that side too.

Thanks for the tips!

Forgot to mention that I've been getting a very occasional "Service Parking Brake" message this year (about 3 times now, disconnecting the battery and performing the reset procedure takes care of it) and figured that the uneven pad wear was probably related to this.

It could be related to the stuck slide, or it could be that your battery is getting weak.

Probably brake component related, since my battery is relatively new and oversized (Group 65, 880CCA) and I charge it up every once in awhile with a wall charger.

Well damn, looks like my LS has got crabs or something.
Noticing some transmission issues now (occasional hard and/or delayed shifts into R, occasional hard 2-3 and 3-4 shifts).
Transmission was flushed at about 65K and the factory fluid was a little dirty (but nothing bad like metal bits).

I'm thinking it's a combination of one or more of the following :
- failing solenoid block ==> TSB 05-21-8
- failing valve body (possibly springs) ==> TSB 05-21-8
- failing servo bore ==> TSB 09-12-12

Glad my car's still under Ford's warranty :)

Make sure you have the right tool and the right procedure for retracting the rear brake pistons...
(Also, it's very unlikely to be a one-sided parking brake problem. It's much more likely that one of the dust boots split and one of your slide pins (and the bracket) is messed up.) Be sure to get new boots and slide pins. You may need the bracket on that side too.

Those boots and slide pins are getting hard to come by. I had to do some heavy (net) surfing to find what I needed nearly two years ago. Be generous with the brake grease when you install them. I went so far as to take all the calipers apart to inspect and regrease the slides. Curiously it was the rear driver's side as well.

I did the rear brakes on my '02 last fall. Had NO trouble getting the hardware---pins and so on---from Auto Zone. The driver's side was sticking/corroded.

KS

I got pins from RockAuto and boots from Autozone a month or two ago. The only trouble I had was I had to rush to Autozone before they closed because there was no way to get the pin out of the frozen caliper and salvage the boot. None were Motorcraft, though. Dorman pins and Autozone house brand I think.

Also driver side rear... coincidence?

For the, I don't know, $4? $5? $8? $10? the 4 boots cost and $20 for 4 pins, I now know to just replace pins/boots every time I do the pads. Had they been replaced with the pads the last time, perhaps I could have avoided the sticky caliper and resultant warped rotor that forced me to take it all apart in the first place. $30 for hardware for a whole axle is cheaper than any decent single rotor.

I had no problems getting new pins, boots, pads and hardware for the complete brake refresh I did a few months ago...

just checking rock auto, they only show 10 different options for pins front and back and 4 options for boots... doesn't seem to take much web surfing at all when you check the right places...

Those boots and slide pins are getting hard to come by. I had to do some heavy (net) surfing to find what I needed nearly two years ago. Be generous with the brake grease when you install them. I went so far as to take all the calipers apart to inspect and regrease the slides. Curiously it was the rear driver's side as well.

O'Reilly Auto Parts had everything that last time I did brakes.

Thanks for chiming in everyone! Will get the pins and boots off of RockAuto and just replace 'em (still on the factory ones atm).
Also, got distracted from the brake job by this :)

eyelids.jpg

Painted by a local bodyshop (~$60), sits nice and flush with the hood.
So sleepy......
smiley-sleep011.gif

How are those slotted/drilled rotors and pads package holding up and performing? I might purchase a set.

This is my second set actually. No problems with either set in terms of excessive brake dust, squealing or the rotors cracking at the drill points.

Members online

No members online now.
Back