New Owner and New to the LVC Boards

rackmfool

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 06 LS with 44K on it. Awesome car although I have 2 questions. I did some reading on the forums and found that I can replace the Halogens with HID's with " very little modificaton" to the exsiting harness, however what was needed to be modified was not mentioned.

Also, I found a little black box mounted under the dash to the right of the fule door button. The box has an LED on it and a dial that says Min to Max. Is this stock ( no mention of it in any of the manuals ) I would assume this a "Valet" type of limiting box.

Thanks for your help and I am sure I will have more input and questions as time goes on.

RackmFool!

That black box is probably a bass knob from a previous owner's sound system.

Welcome to LVC. Pool player eh?

Welcome

The black box does sound like an amp controller. Check it to see if it has a telephone cord plugged in to it, my sister's sub controller was like that.

I think all you have to do to install the HID headlights is file down a tab. I bought some off a member and I just plugged them in. He bought them new and installed them on his so I guess he already filed down whatever it was to make it work. I tried looking for something filed or something that didn't look cmoplete on mine but I couldn't find anything,I didn't try looking very hard though

Yeah I play a little pool ;) as for the box, it does not seem as though the stereo has been modified. My last ride had about 6K worth of sound system in so I am a little familar with that part.

When I get home tonight I will check the sound and see if that is in fact a bass control.

When I get home tonight I will check the sound and see if that is in fact a bass control.

I'm not saying that it works right now. just saying that maybe when they pulled their system, the didn't remove the gain knob. I hate bass knobs anyways, and never use them. Set the gain right the first time, then leave it alone.

I'm not saying that it works right now. just saying that maybe when they pulled their system, the didn't remove the gain knob. I hate bass knobs anyways, and never use them. Set the gain right the first time, then leave it alone.

Just about to post this. Probably a gain knob left behind. If you look more you may even find RCAs and a turn on lead.

take a picture of it as well, we might be able to provide more info

welcome to the forums, there is a lot of information here

My last ride had about 6K worth of sound system in so I am a little familiar with that part.

I installed an amp and better speakers in our 2000 LS. You would never know the system has been up-graded by looking. The amp is hidden in the trunk. If you don't know where it is, you would never find it.

Very true I don't you can see it but I can guarantee you could tell by the sound. I will snoop around and see what I can see.

I must say I am impressed with this ride!

You have to file down a tab on the harness connector for the HIDs work. Easy task. Good luck finding some though.

Welcome, btw.

Welcome to LVC.:invasion:

Pictures are a must. What are your future plans?

You have to file down a tab on the harness connector for the HIDs work. Easy task. Good luck finding some though.Welcome, btw.

call me crazy, but i dont remember having to modify this when i installed my hids, of course, i did have some help, so unless they f*ck you new guy snuck that little step in there i wouldnt know....

I installed an amp and better speakers in our 2000 LS. You would never know the system has been up-graded by looking. The amp is hidden in the trunk. If you don't know where it is, you would never find it.

i bet you i can find it!!!!

call me crazy, but i dont remember having to modify this when i installed my hids,

neither did i, just plugged right in, and the bulb fit right in. i did have to add a relay to kick them on.

DDM tuning is the way to go for the HID kits.

neither did i, just plugged right in, and the bulb fit right in. i did have to add a relay to kick them on.

DDM tuning is the way to go for the HID kits.

I thought they were talking about putting the factory HID assemblies (with the correct reflector) in place of the factory non-HID assemblies? My understanding is that does require a nub to be filed off of the factory harness connector. The wiring harness for factory HIDs is slightly different and adds a relay, however, my understanding is that the factory HID assemblies work okay with the factory non-HID wiring. I haven't tried it myself. One of my LS's has HIDs, and the other doesn't. To me, the one without HIDs is about the same as the one with, if the fog lights are turned on.

Ok it took a few days but here are the first set of Pics.

LS_1.jpg

LS_2.jpg

LS_3.jpg

that looks clean man, congrats on car

do you have pictures of that black box with a dial??

bastard!!!!!!!! looks just like i want mine to look with the lse kit!!!!!!!!!! ahhhH!!!!!!!!!!

that looks clean man, congrats on car

do you have pictures of that black box with a dial??

No I didn't need to after I looked under the dash. It was in a gain for an amp. I thought, my mistake, that people really did not use those anymore. If you dont' know how to set your amps up without the use of a manual gain boost then you should stick to stock :)

Plus DJ you have HID's, which I want. Also thinking of the Angel Eyes. They look Bad Ass!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back