New Problem.

BlackKarmaMKVIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, yesterday I was driving home from the gas station, and the car was running great. No problems, nothing. Aside from the annoying "Low Engine Coolant" message coming on, but I always check the coolant, and it's always full. That I don't understand.

Now, I went out to go to the movie store about two hours ago, and it won't start. I checked the fluids, I checked the fuel cut off switch, it's down like it should be, and there are no other messages.

I get in, turn the key, and everything sounds normal, except it won't start. It'll crank and keep turning over and over and over, like it's out of gas, but I can smell gas very subtley from the front of the car like I normally do when starting. I took the battery out for about twenty minutes, wondering if maybe something needed to be reset. So far, nada. So if anyone can offer some insight on this, please help. (PS, this is the only car I own)

Hmmmm... try unplugging and plugging the crank sensor back in. The sensor is down on the front cover by the AC compressor.

And its a squeeze type connector. Just squeeze the tab down and pull a little and slide back on.

I know this may sound weird but is it flooded? Fuel injected cars can flood like a carb car. All you gotta do is pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let it turn over till it starts and put the fuse back in it. I had my 2 Durangos do it and my boss had a lil Geo Metro do it several times in the cold. It may be worth a try.

Just an fyi; to cure a flood problem on ford vehicles, simply press the accelerator pedal to the floor, and crank the engine. This signals a flooded engine to the computor and in shuts off the injectors.

I know this may sound weird but is it flooded? Fuel injected cars can flood like a carb car. you gotta do is pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let it turn over till it starts and put the fuse back in it
On a flooded EFI car.. if you pull the fuse the car wont start.
The fuel pump HAS to run in order for the car to RUN.

For the PROPER procedure for "clearing out a flooded motor" is to:

Hold the gas pedal to the floor and turn over the motor, then release the gas pedal from the floor and start the car normally.

Almost verbatim from the owners manual..
and notice I showed the PROPER procedure for using a (b)(/b) tags.

GRINS

That maybe on some cars but not all. Dodge and other efi cars you must follow the procedure I stated. I was shown how to do this by a 32 year veteran mechanic. There are different ways to unflood at motor. The way you descibe is how you do the older carb engines and some EFI motors.
FYI: The reason for pulling the fuse for the fuel pump is so it dosen't prime, and dump more fuel in the cylinders. You turn the starter over to dry out the cylinders. An as it gets rid of excess fuel it will start momentarilly then die(runs out of fuel).GRINNING RIGHT BACK AT YOU BRO.LOL

That maybe on some cars but not all. Dodge and other efi cars you must follow the procedure I stated. I was shown how to do this by a 32 year veteran mechanic.

FYI: The reason for pulling the fuse for the fuel pump is so it dosen't prime, and dump more fuel in the cylinders. You turn the starter over to dry out the cylinders. An as it gets rid of excess fuel it will start momentarilly then die(runs out of fuel).GRINNING RIGHT BACK AT YOU BRO.LOL

man it doesnt matter how some dodge/chrysler product does it.

This is a mark 8 section of the message board...try to stick to giving advice for mark 8's not some mopar.

I've been working on cars for well over 32 years.. so what?

I'll bet I've spent more hours working on a mark 8 than your "veteran mechanic" does.

when you hold the gas pedal down on a MARK 8 or any other ford EFI car the PCM shuts off the injectors.

the fuel pump WONT DUMP more fuel in the cylinders because the injectors are CLOSED durning the prime cycle...
which makes it terribly difficult to flood and EFI car to begin with.. unless your some nitwit that pumps his gas pedal while trying to start the car.

and.. again.. a flooded EFI ford/mark 8 wont "fire up" with the fuel pump fuse removed, even for a split second. it just AINT gonna happen.. sorry.

Thanks for trying to help, but try to give accurate information.

man it doesnt matter how some dodge/chrysler product does it.

This is a mark 8 section of the message board...try to stick to giving advice for mark 8's not some mopar.

I've been working on cars for well over 32 years.. so what?

I'll bet I've spent more hours working on a mark 8 than your "veteran mechanic" does.

when you hold the gas pedal down on a MARK 8 or any other ford EFI car the PCM shuts off the injectors.

the fuel pump WONT DUMP more fuel in the cylinders because the injectors are CLOSED durning the prime cycle...
which makes it terribly difficult to flood and EFI car to begin with.. unless your some nitwit that pumps his gas pedal while trying to start the car.

and.. again.. a flooded EFI ford/mark 8 wont "fire up" with the fuel pump fuse removed, even for a split second. it just AINT gonna happen.. sorry.

Thanks for trying to help, but try to give accurate information.

LOL

I got you beat Ive been workin on cars for 35 years.....:shifty:

LOL

I got you beat Ive been workin on cars for 35 years.....:shifty:

Oh yea!!!
My first car was a mustang II.. you cant get more "working on car" experience with any other platform.

I tried all the afore mentioned things, and nothing worked. I did notice, however that there is oil coming from somewhere when I try to start the car. I'm really hoping something bad didn't happen, but knowing my luck, it probably did. It's not a lot of oil, but enough to make a spot on the driveway.

I've been working on cars for 4 years... beat that!

My first car was a Honda... and it never broke down while I owned it, what a bummer...

My first car was a 1992 Ford Taurus. Imagine that. First thing that ever went wrong with it? You guessed it. Transmission. Big shock, huh? Damn thing sat for three years.

My first car was a 1992 Ford Taurus. Imagine that. First thing that ever went wrong with it? You guessed it. Transmission. Big shock, huh? Damn thing sat for three years.

First car 68 cougar....yep bad trans.

Back to your problem.

You unpluged and repluged the crank sensor right ?....... Check for spark if you have spark check fuel pressure at the rail.

Found the problem. My fuel pump went out. So, now I've got to replace that. Whew. At least it wasn't catastrophic. (The dealer wants $1100 to replace it. I think it would be easier to do it myself.)

So, can anyone tell me if the fuel pump is located generally where most are, on top of the gas tank, and how do I get to it?

Found the problem. My fuel pump went out. So, now I've got to replace that. Whew. At least it wasn't catastrophic. (The dealer wants $1100 to replace it. I think it would be easier to do it myself.)

So, can anyone tell me if the fuel pump is located generally where most are, on top of the gas tank, and how do I get to it?

Search is your friend :cool:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=40499&highlight=fuel+pump

Were is that dam frog when you need him !!!!!!!!! :mad:

I've got a friend that's been working on Mark VIII's for 42 years!

Take that! :p
Wow I don't want to be that old !!!

Search is your friend :cool:

Were is that dam frog when you need him !!!!!!!!! :mad:
!

when I read the question I thought the same thing.

(gives fordnut the babyspoon trophy for 11-02-08)

Mark 8 fuel pump failures and replacements are a frequently documented issue.

Do not to go autozone or oreilly's or any other chain store and ask for a mark 8 fuel pump.

They will tell you that you have to replace the entire assembly for 300+ dollars {been there done that)

You dont need to replace the assembly, only the pump.

you can get an upgraded pump "plug and play" replacement about 100 dollars from www.50resto.com <---where I got my pump from)

Now.. "THEY, or ANYONE" wont have a "specific" pump for the mark 8.
I got the 96-98 cobra pump for my first gen mark 8 (93-95)
If you have a 97 or 98 pump your gonna want to run the SVT focus pump..which I believe there is an article in the "TECH" section at the top of this very page.

(points the baby spoon towards the top of the page)

I've got a friend that's been working on Mark VIII's for 42 years!

Take that! :p

2008 - 42 years.. 1966
I never saw a '66 mark 8 but.. I digress.. you win.

now.. "being 42" and "working on mark 8's" doesnt count.

HAHA

Members online

No members online now.
Back