new struts or complete suspenion overhaul??

dee2fye

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 2000 Lincoln LS v8 sport when ever i go over a dip in the road it can even be a small dip i feel all of it, i was told that i needed new struts. what are some signs that its true??
thanks in advance
$Dee2Fye$-:cool:

prob just need sway bar bushings, i went through a few. know what you mean about feeling the small bumps..

I agree that you should check the sway bar bushings first. They are cheap (search this forum for where to get them, 17mm for standard sway bar) at only $20 or so shipped for polyurethane solid bushings, and though they are a pain to replace, it is doable.

If you are getting a knocking like noise even hitting small bumps and potholes in a parking lot, and the suspension is harsh feeling, it could be those bushings. I had the same symptoms, considered shocks, but this totally eliminated the problem and the car rides like new now.

If your shocks aren't leaking, and the towers are not broke, they are probably good.

I don't feel the small bumps, but I do get a lot of body roll when going over rolling bumps and dips. Also, if I don't creep over speed bumps I bottom out. I have stock 17" as well, a friend of mine has 17" on his BMW 3series and he doesn't bottom out like I do... think he is even lower then me.

I am guessing I need to replace my shocks, over 100,000 miles on my car. Would I be right?

Dude,
My car bottoms out on the smallest of speed bumps but the suspension is good. You need to realize that this car was designed by ford, It is a poor copy of a good europeen car...but it looks good.

You are going to have to learn to live with all the small bumps, rattles and noises, I have been chasing them for the last four years and I have finally come to terms that...this is just a crappy car. You can spend a lot of money for little results or you can do nothing and wait till it stops running. the latter is much cheaper.

The bottoming out is natural (I have no idea how people who lower thiers actually drive in the real world). Suspension rattles and clanks could be the sway bar bushing or tie rod ends. I had a tie rod end go bad at 45k miles (easy replace honestly) and it clanked on bumps that effected just that side of the car.

Dude,
You are going to have to learn to live with all the small bumps, rattles and noises, I have been chasing them for the last four years and I have finally come to terms that...this is just a crappy car. You can spend a lot of money for little results or you can do nothing and wait till it stops running. the latter is much cheaper.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get rid of the rattles/clanks/clunks. Just buy a sub/amp. Just make sure your amp goes to 11 :D

Then just turn it up, and voila. You can no longer hear any of the clunks.

The bottoming out is natural (I have no idea how people who lower thiers actually drive in the real world). .

I was scared at first about driveability. But honestly it's not bad. The bumper will not clear a parking block now. With a loaded down car (4 people + luggage) she does bottom out regularly over large dips. But that's not very often that the car sees that kind of load.

Haven't had any problems with speed bumps yet, but I don't drive like a dumbass. Most of the time, anyways :D

The first few weeks I had the car I destroyed several speed bumps, There was literally asphalt stuck to the bottom of my car. I learned the hard way how to aproach speedbumps. Now i rarely bottom out, you will get used to it.
As for the rattles, there is nothing you can do, My car was under warranty and was in the dealership quite often for the rattles, they changed everything.... several times.

You are going to have to deal with the fact that you own a ford. There is a reason they are almost bankrupt. If the lincoln didn't look so damn good I would be driving a TL...much better car but not as pretty...I am so shallow

I've never bottomed out, on a speed bump or anything else. And I've driven this thing all through Chicago and Northern Indiana. I have very little body roll and there are no rattles. So, I would say that if you are experiencing some of these issues there is likely something wrong that should be fixed. Or, you have a perception issue.

Or, possibly you are an idiot who bought a lemon and drive like a douchbag . . . dereik.

My car kicks ass. Don't rain on my parade.

haven't driven like a douchebag in years..... This car would probably fall apart if i did.
I am guessing you just got the car...wait 4 years then you can talk to me..

And yes I am a picky fother-mucker. My perception is that this car rattles like a prostitutes vulva. I have a MDX... no rattles no problems.

Would you call that reality or perception.

I have to crawl over speed bumps, I do my douchbag driving on the freeway..not the parking lot. I plan on getting sport shocks with new springs to tighten up the suspension. As for the rattles you guys are talking about... I don't have any issues with my LS, its an 02 with 108k miles. I front wheel bearing has been going out, and makes some funny sounds, but its getting replaced this weekend.

I think this Thread went a little off topic. Dee was asking if any one has done a shock, spring, bushing overhaul and got good results from it. I would also be interested if any one has a success story (or neh, no results).

Anyone done a ride comfort comparison between the base and sport springs and shocks? I'm already planning on upgrading to the sport bars, wondering if I go with sport shocks on regular springs if it would make the ride noticably harsher.

Reality is that I have a 2000 LS with no rattles. A 9 year old car with no issues is pretty good in my opinion. I'm sorry if your car sucks, but mine doesn't. So, as I said before don't rain on my parade.

How do you recommend checking the rear shock towers to determine they are broken? (without taking it off the car)
I don't have leaks, but I do have a curious noise around 30-45 mph (right rear of car). I was thinking CV joint also...

Reality is that I have a 2000 LS with no rattles. A 9 year old car with no issues is pretty good in my opinion. I'm sorry if your car sucks, but mine doesn't. So, as I said before don't rain on my parade.

Sorry, I am happy you are happy, I am unhappy you are happy your car is better than mine. Sorry to rain on your parade Please let me wallow in my misery, I have lived with this car almost 5 years now. This month I have changed my wind shield, I need a air pump and relay and I need a new clutch Thats like 2000$ in one month.
and it still rattles.....
A fukcing tornado blew through my parade so stop worrying about a little rain.

How do you recommend checking the rear shock towers to determine they are broken? (without taking it off the car)
I don't have leaks, but I do have a curious noise around 30-45 mph (right rear of car). I was thinking CV joint also...

If your shock towers are broken, Its easy to tell. You will have two huge dents in the trunk lid and your car will dragging its ass along the ground like a dog with worms.

I sincerely hope you do not have broken shock towers, I am thinking its probably the rear links links .

Good luck.

Sorry, I am happy you are happy, I am unhappy you are happy your car is better than mine. Sorry to rain on your parade Please let me wallow in my misery, I have lived with this car almost 5 years now. This month I have changed my wind shield, I need a air pump and relay and I need a new clutch Thats like 2000$ in one month.
and it still rattles.....
A fukcing tornado blew through my parade so stop worrying about a little rain.
wow

If your shock towers are broken, Its easy to tell. You will have two huge dents in the trunk lid and your car will dragging its ass along the ground like a dog with worms.

I sincerely hope you do not have broken shock towers, I am thinking its probably the rear links links .

Good luck.

I actually just bought all new rear links... will install soon & post result. - Thanks for the input.

Members online

Back