Occasional kick when transmission downshifts

Chico Dave

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 54,000 mile LS occasionally, like once a month, does a little RPM flare and kick when downshifting at very slow speeds. Most recently I was approaching a red light going maybe 5 mph and then it shifted to green to I stepped on the acccelerator fairly gently to keep on going. As the car downshifted presumably to first, there was the RPM flare for less than a second and a hard shift.
This has happened maybe five times in the six months I've had it. My mechanic says the fluid looks brand new. Any thoughts? Thanks.

My 54,000 mile LS occasionally, like once a month, does a little RPM flare and kick when downshifting at very slow speeds. Most recently I was approaching a red light going maybe 5 mph and then it shifted to green to I stepped on the acccelerator fairly gently to keep on going. As the car downshifted presumably to first, there was the RPM flare for less than a second and a hard shift.
This has happened maybe five times in the six months I've had it. My mechanic says the fluid looks brand new. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm going with normal. The computer thinks you're stopping and then you tell it to accelerate which momentarily confuses the computer. Once it believes you really want to accelerate it tries to please you and shifts as fast as it can.

I'm going with normal. The computer thinks you're stopping and then you tell it to accelerate which momentarily confuses the computer. Once it believes you really want to accelerate it tries to please you and shifts as fast as it can.

+ 1 on this. mine does it too, ive just gotten used to it and know how to avoid it.

Thanks guys. I thought it was probably alright. Otherwise it runs flawlessly.

Normal. Both of mine do this sometimes under the conditions that you described.

Members online

No members online now.
Back