Octane adjust service pin and knock sensors locations

mad_max

LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where the octane adjust service pin is on a 94 mark viii?

Also can't seem to locate the knock sensor(s), any ideas?

It's a gray thing on the EDIS harness, near driver's suspension tower.

A wise tuner said that the octane plug does different things, depending on year and you should never need to touch it. I'd leave it alone.

There is one knock sensor per bank, in the 'V' of the engine, under the intake manifold.

I had the 341 code for the octane adjust pin but didnt know what the hell that was. Now I know, I popped it off myself by accident.

THe knock sensors mean I have to take off the intake or are they accessible without doing that? And if you get code 225, no knock signal during dynamic test.. is usually both or only one? I ordered one thinking I had only one, oops :(

THe knock sensors mean I have to take off the intake or are they accessible without doing that? And if you get code 225, no knock signal during dynamic test.. is usually both or only one? I ordered one thinking I had only one, oops :(

Yes to gain access to the knock sensors you need to pull off the lower intake manifold.
and on the mark 8 there are two KS's.

Two sensors but I believe they are read as one? Anyone know for sure?

XLRVIII: Cali!

Thanks for the help, but now... the knock sensor code went away. Now I got 116, ECT out of test range. And I got something on the KOEO test.. 214, cylinder ID test failure. From what I've seen thats the camshaft position sensor. Anyone want to verify, and anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? At idle if I hit WOT briefly it sputters and nearly stalls. I know the drivers side cat is plugged but that shouldnt effect a quick throttle hit like that should it?

codes says your "engine coolant temp sensor" is bad..

and yes a clogged cat will cause precisely what you describe.

The ECT is on the coolant crossover tube, on the passenger side down tube.
On a first gen 93-95 there are two sensors on the Xover tube.
The drivers side sensor goes to the temp guage on your dash.
The passenger side sensor goes to your PCM.

On the second gens they combined the two sensors.

So what about the 214 code, should I be worried about that now since its in memory? I'm trying to find the cause of the cat failure but the ecm throws off different codes. Had oxygen sensor failure codes a while back and now those dont come up either. Maybe the cat just got hit hard (but a little hard to see that happening on the driver side). But really, I don't know how to troubleshoot it if I'm not getting consistent things from the engine. Vacuum check seemed in spec, I'm about to pull the plugs to see if I can find out more.

Cam sensor code isn't a big deal, when it dies the engine just takes 4 tries to start because it doesnt know which injector to fire.
it has a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right and in 4 tries it will/should start.

your main issue at the moment is to replace the clogged cat and go from there.

The cam sensor is less than 20.00 and easy to replace if you want...it's behind the drivers side coil pack, and I removed the power steering resevoir and set it aside to get it out of the way {I did not disconnect the hose from PS res ) I just unbolted it and laid it to the side.
it's a 20 minute job, tops

a weak electrical system will toss out "random codes" because the PCM depends on good "reference voltage" to get to the sensors, in order for it to work correctly.

Since it send a specific amount of voltage TO the sensor, then receives a specific amount back..a goofy alternator or weak battery OR BAD CONNECTION or cable...can cause all kinds of goofy codes to pop up.

....just a thought if your getting seemingly endless codes with no rhyme or reason.

02 sensor and ECT sensors BOTH require specific amounts of "reference voltage".. the cam sensor isn't so "voltage dependant" as it's simply a "yes or no" switch

Gotcha, you guys give the best advice than any other forum. I guess luxury cars pull in owners that know their sh*t :) I'm going to have the cat done in a bit, I'll let you know what I find.

Also, all the plugs came out with a bit of fuel on them but even wear and look good otherwise. I assume the system is putting in more fuel because of the clogged cat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back