Odd front end sounds

lsintoronto

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I seem to have developed a few issues with the front end on the LS (2004 V8 Sport) and not sure to what extent they are related. Looking to see if anyone else has experienced/addressed these previously (from the search, past threads are all over the map in terms of symptoms/outcomes).

1. "Ticking" sound when the car is rolling (does not appear to go away or get worse when braking); brakes were previously given the OK in terms of pad/rotor life during recent dealership oil/maintenance package. Sounds like it's from the front but can't tell if it's one side or the other.

2. Low level humming/grinding sound primarily when the steering wheel is turned to the right while driving - sounds like it's coming from front passenger side of the car.

3. Noticed for the first time yesterday that there is a "clunk" (loose) sound from the front end at low speed (eg. when coming to a full stop, then off the gas, over speed bump, etc). I'm thinking it could be a swaybar end-link or worse, ball joint?

Just got the car rolling again after recent overheating issue (cracked coolant pipes) and PCM repair so observing other issues that need to be addressed (before doing the cosmetic stuff like center console lid fix and the dome light/sunglass holder fix).

Also check the wheel bearings for roughness. I had to replace one this year and just did both sides anyway. It was a rumbling noise,but loose bearings can click also.They also make more noise sometimes while turning. Jack it up and check it not only for play,but for smoothness of rolling. Mine had no play,but wasn't smooth. don-ohio :)^)

I had an issue similar to this one and after really intense searching I found that right under my front fender, and please excuse the terminology I use here, but my "skid plate" was ripped. It was a plastic/silicone like material. Except when I was driving it sounded like clunking from the engine. I had fixed it and haven't heard it again. Just a thought.

I seem to have developed a few issues with the front end on the LS (2004 V8 Sport) and not sure to what extent they are related. Looking to see if anyone else has experienced/addressed these previously (from the search, past threads are all over the map in terms of symptoms/outcomes).

1. "Ticking" sound when the car is rolling (does not appear to go away or get worse when braking); brakes were previously given the OK in terms of pad/rotor life during recent dealership oil/maintenance package. Sounds like it's from the front but can't tell if it's one side or the other.

2. Low level humming/grinding sound primarily when the steering wheel is turned to the right while driving - sounds like it's coming from front passenger side of the car.

3. Noticed for the first time yesterday that there is a "clunk" (loose) sound from the front end at low speed (eg. when coming to a full stop, then off the gas, over speed bump, etc). I'm thinking it could be a swaybar end-link or worse, ball joint?

Just got the car rolling again after recent overheating issue (cracked coolant pipes) and PCM repair so observing other issues that need to be addressed (before doing the cosmetic stuff like center console lid fix and the dome light/sunglass holder fix).

The Clunk is most likely a Sway Bar Link. If you replace that and it still makes the cluck sound, its your ball joints. My advice is to replace the sway-bar-link first because its an easier job and those links go bad alllll the time. Also, sway bar links usually makes sound at low speeds and dont make noise at a faster speed.

How many miles on the ball joints? Might be time for those anyway. But if you dont have the cash to do both right now, id start with the sway bar link. There about 30 bucks and an hour to 2 hours of work. Less if you hurry and have air tools.

Myself I would actually describe worn front sway bar bushings as a light to moderate "Thumping" or "Rumbling" sound as apposed to "Clunking".

Something with an aggressive clunking sound would not indicate sway bar bushings to me. IMO

I had an issue similar to this one and after really intense searching I found that right under my front fender, and please excuse the terminology I use here, but my "skid plate" was ripped. It was a plastic/silicone like material. Except when I was driving it sounded like clunking from the engine. I had fixed it and haven't heard it again. Just a thought.
A little more info on this if you would please. I've been chasing a sound like this for a while now.

Myself I would actually describe worn front sway bar bushings as a light to moderate "Thumping" or "Rumbling" sound as apposed to "Clunking".

Something with an aggressive clunking sound would not indicate sway bar bushings to me. IMO

Agreed. Start with Links.

when I first got my car the bushings were shot, every little bump i hit made a very pronounced clunk, sometimes a clank. definitely the best word to describe the sound (in my opinion)

replaced the bushings and all was well.

here is the scoop, clicking most likely wheel bearing, clunking sway bar bushings, clanking rattle steering end link. replaced all in my LS all good now. raise front on jacks, check for loose play in wheel by tilting tire from top and bottom back and forth, then check side to side. there should be no looseness. Look behind front wheel at the steering end link, grab hold and check for looseness, there should be little movement. Now in front of tire check sway bar end links for looseness, there should be little movement. when you replace the sway bar bushings go ahead and replace the sway bar bushing end links. All this stuff is very easy to replace. Buy the cheap stuff on ebay or Oreillys auto parts, they work just fine unless you race your car. Buy wheel bearings off ebay to save money. oh, one more thing, your upper control arm bearing may be getting loose, that is a hard rattle sound. to check upper control arm ball joint raise car, then raise tire so no pressure is on control arm ball joint, then pull push back and forth to check for looseness of joint. Its not too difficult to change out the upper control arm itself, I bought two of them for $80 on ebay they work fine.

Last edited:
Thanks all! It rained all frickin weekend so couldn't get to this so aiming for this coming weekend. Everything on the front end is original except the sway bar end links (2009) and the front passenger side hub/bearing (2 years ago due to broken wheel stud) so I'm sure I'm due for a bunch of parts replacement.

Took the LS over to a buddy with a shop and he checked it out on the hoist - the driver side wheel sounds like it's "growling" a little so I'm going to replace that wheel hub (did the passenger side about 2-3 years ago).

The ball joints appear to be ok, end links not bad so sway bar bushing may be the other culprit....didn't get looked at though.

Still trying to get my rear parking brake issue fixed. Looks like the parking brake "arm" on the caliper (passenger rear) is seized so I'm going to replace both rear calipers and it looks like the cable on the same side is damaged so both cables are going to be swapped also.

#1 and #2 seem to be gone now after replacing the driver side front hub (OEM parts) and cleaning up the rust on the rotor while everything was apart. Still have to clean the passenger side front rotor.

I'll be taking the car to the dealership for an oil change/maintenance package and A/C testing before month end so will ask them to investigate the front end "clunks" while it's in. I had someone check the ball joints and those appear to be ok so likely the bushings as suggested above (not sure if tie rods would cause this type of noise).

Members online

No members online now.
Back