OEM Chrome 17" wheels falling apart?

hannibal

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my new (new to me anyways....) 02 LS V8 today. During my picking it over with a fine tooth comb, I noticed that three of the wheels are damaged where the small center caps are. It looks almost like the wheel has corroded underneath the chrome and is making the chrome crack. One of the wheels is so bad that the center cap is actually missing. Anyone ever seen this before? I'm going to see about getting them redone tomorrow, although I can't imagine it being cheap. Anyone selling some of these cheap??:D Or, any ideas?

hannibal said:
I just picked up my new (new to me anyways....) 02 LS V8 today. During my picking it over with a fine tooth comb, I noticed that three of the wheels are damaged where the small center caps are. It looks almost like the wheel has corroded underneath the chrome and is making the chrome crack. One of the wheels is so bad that the center cap is actually missing. Anyone ever seen this before? I'm going to see about getting them redone tomorrow, although I can't imagine it being cheap. Anyone selling some of these cheap??:D Or, any ideas?

I don't have an LS but I suspect it is the same problem I had with my Mark Viii chrome wheels. They got so bad they wouldn't even hold air and needed to be replaced. I went for the factory OEM Aluminum wheels which are much better, although they certainly are not as sharp as the Chrome. It is a pity you didn't notice this before you bought the car, maybe they would have helped more in getting you an alternative wheel. Mine is a 1998, you would think by 2002, Ford would have fixed this annoying and expensive problem.

You may get lucky and find a less expensive alternative, but it takes a lot of looking. It took me 2 years to find decently priced wheels. You may try the Tirerack.com, they have some interesting wheels.
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Lincoln&autoModel=LS+V8&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

Visit www.wheelconcepts.com. They have a swap out program for their OEM wheels. The due chrome plating of wheels for the OEM's. I had my wheels chrome plated by them for over 2 years and have not had any issues. They do very high quality work.

Funny finding this thread... I had one of these 2002 LS wheels replaced two months ago under warrranty and just yesterday noticed two more were bad... I'm still under the four years but wonder if they're going to balk at buying two more $750 wheels... They may have covered the first wheel under the corrosion warranty - mine is much deeper than just the chrome plating, its about an 1/8" thick piece about to flake off.

OldRelayer said:
I don't have an LS but I suspect it is the same problem I had with my Mark Viii chrome wheels. They got so bad they wouldn't even hold air and needed to be replaced. I went for the factory OEM Aluminum wheels which are much better, although they certainly are not as sharp as the Chrome. It is a pity you didn't notice this before you bought the car, maybe they would have helped more in getting you an alternative wheel. Mine is a 1998, you would think by 2002, Ford would have fixed this annoying and expensive problem.

You may get lucky and find a less expensive alternative, but it takes a lot of looking. It took me 2 years to find decently priced wheels. You may try the Tirerack.com, they have some interesting wheels.
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Lincoln&autoModel=LS+V8&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

Same with my 98 Mark - Chrome peeled so bad on the backside of the rim that it actually was hitting the caliper and almost cut a brake line. all Mark VIII 10 spoke chrome rims will go bad. A buddy got a replacement set from lincoln for a 95 and they went bad in 18 months - they blamed it on salt air and improper torque (funny was installed at the dealer so they must have done it wrong). I wonder if we can get a class action? I just had a set rechromed so I hope these are better than the factory crap.

Quickdraw, that is the exact same problem with mine, like a 1/8" think chunk ready to fall off. I'll try to snap some pics..... I'm past the 4 year warranty mark though, so I think I'd have a tough time getting them replaced by any warranty or anything, unless the 5 year corrosion warranty would cover them?

I recently picked up a 2004 LSE. The chrome is flaking off of the backside of the wheel right now, but you can tell it'll work it's way outward. Hard to believe they've had problems for this long and still can't get it right.
On a more positive note, I want a different set of wheels anyway. I'm hoping I can get the dealer to work with me.

centers

i have an 02 same problem mine has 10350 miles on i asked they said the problem was was something to do with the process and they wouldn't stand behind it????????????????? Getting ready to go aftermarket and save these for winter...Good luck

grdur3 said:
i have an 02 same problem mine has 10350 miles on i asked they said the problem was was something to do with the process and they wouldn't stand behind it????????????????? Getting ready to go aftermarket and save these for winter...Good luck

Were you past 48 months on the warranty? They said it was something to do with WHAT process? Are they saying its normal?

Members online

Back