Official Plasti-Dip Thread

Some of his best work yet...

However im surprised he managed to cover up the black with 4 coats. When i tried to dip my barcelonas in matte white i was like on my 6th or 7th coat before i gave up...and i never fully covered the gloss black powdercoat.

Maybe i just suck

Dipped lower grille

how is this holding up? Do you drive on the highway where it gets blasted? I'm thinking of using this but if it chips too easy, I'm going to try black polyurethane truck bed liner.

how is this holding up? Do you drive on the highway where it gets blasted? I'm thinking of using this but if it chips too easy, I'm going to try black polyurethane truck bed liner.

It holds up perfectly. Ive done over 5k with my grilles dipped, of which 90% has been highway, on a highway with heavy truck traffic and not a single chip.

After all it is a rubber coating so its pretty flexible.

Very good to hear Mlara. I have been debating for a week what to use on my lower grille area. You pretty much made up my mind for me. Thx...

wonder what the cost would be (including equipment) to do a full spray like that...

It holds up perfectly. Ive done over 5k with my grilles dipped, of which 90% has been highway, on a highway with heavy truck traffic and not a single chip.

After all it is a rubber coating so its pretty flexible.

Awesome- glad to hear this as I was not a fan of the polurethane textured finish! Thanks

It's holding up great so far. I drive a mix of highway and country roads. No chips or anything. Mlara hit it spot on, it's just rubber.

Some of his best work yet...

However im surprised he managed to cover up the black with 4 coats. When i tried to dip my barcelonas in matte white i was like on my 6th or 7th coat before i gave up...and i never fully covered the gloss black powdercoat.

Maybe i just suck

It might be because he used the spray gun.

Not sure how much it would translate but by my second or third coat on my grille the chrome was totally covered. Maybe you just wernt laying it on thick enough? Its not paint remember, its a spray rubber/silicon kinda stuff. A light grazing like you would do with spray paint doesnt seem to be enough with this stuff (after the first coat I mean which should be thin(from my experience at least))

Not sure how much it would translate but by my second or third coat on my grille the chrome was totally covered. Maybe you just wernt laying it on thick enough? Its not paint remember, its a spray rubber/silicon kinda stuff. A light grazing like you would do with spray paint doesnt seem to be enough with this stuff (after the first coat I mean which should be thin(from my experience at least))

nope pretty heavy coats especially towards the end. Went through almost 2 cans on one wheel. I've done chrome in the past as well and was able to cover it pretty easily, so i'm not sure what it was. Maybe it reacts differently to powdercoated surfaces...even when i did silver metalizer over black dip, i got a weird blue-ish color so who knows...

nope pretty heavy coats especially towards the end. Went through almost 2 cans on one wheel. I've done chrome in the past as well and was able to cover it pretty easily, so i'm not sure what it was. Maybe it reacts differently to powdercoated surfaces...even when i did silver metalizer over black dip, i got a weird blue-ish color so who knows...

Oh wow ok, that is wierd

Started a project. Its still pretty uneven because I'm not done with the rim yet but I wont be totally done till tomorrow and wanted to show you guys. I only have enough jacks to do one tire at a time so I'm just taking my time with it. I think it looks pretty sweet

IMG_20120620_182917.png

Well here is the final product. Its interesting because it sort of makes my car look lower for some reason. Optical illusion for the win I suppose. I like it a lot

IMG_20120621_182207.png

Police!

What I meant was that you got 'dip overspray on inside of the wheels (barrels). It's a bitch to remove.

Tint your windows, spray the center caps, tint the taillights, locate the nearest Secretary of State and request a license plate reading "MTWN MRDR". I know you're from A2 but you know as well as I do that the whole SE Michigan can relate to it.

Looks great...

Besides the tire shine. I just can't stand to look at it. It's not natural.

Police!

What I meant was that you got 'dip overspray on inside of the wheels (barrels). It's a bitch to remove.

That's not true. After its dry a microfiber towels wipes it right up with some pressure and GooGone works like a charm.

That's not true. After its dry a microfiber towels wipes it right up with some pressure and GooGone works like a charm.

I tried it by hand only. Didn't want to ruin a MF towel lol. Either way, masking it off would be less work IMO.

Right on, looks great.
My tails are debadged but I have plans on dipping the LS lettering on the front fenders.

Members online

No members online now.
Back