Oil Change

itsnotmydaddys

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
im due for an oil change, the ls ahs 47000 miles on it what kinda oil should i use never changed it b4. please help

luckieleo said:
$3.50 at autozone. bout the same at the dealer

excellent. Now that I have jackstands I am going to do my own Oil Changes. I had been using the castrol syntech, should be called sintech for the big lie they are getting away with.

My wifes 03 altima 3.5 is about to expire the warranty so i will start changing her car as well.

Quik LS said:
mobil 1 - 5w30

V8 use 5.7 quarts

What is the major difference between using 530 and 1030? I use Mobil 1 1030 synthetic now, but I am considering switching to 530 at my next oil change if 530 has more benefits. (I live in the south so cold starting isn't much of a problem)

The filter depends on the engine. If you have the V6, then the 400S will work.

The V8 needs the FL2021 or equivalent.

I have just used the Fram Ph5618, and have some of the Wix 57302 for the next change in 5K.

My 2004 manual states it uses 6.2 qts for a change. I put in a little over 6.5 due to having a bottle that had a leak, the oil level is maybe 1/4 inch above full.

I used Mobil1 5W30 on my first oil change. The manual states that you should use 5W20 semisyn. MY car came from the dealer with I assume 5W20 semisyn and it was noisy on startup. With the Mobil 1 5W30, the car has almost no startup moise, maybe 1/4 second versus maybe 5+ before. In mild climate, the 5W30 will work fine. I have used 5W30 in all my vehicles since 1980 and have driven in sub freezing to 120+ temps with no problems.

For newer cars under warranty, technically you should use 5W20.

Jim Henderson

One of the guys wrote that for the V8...

at my local AutoZone:

FRAM - PH5618 = $7.99
STP - PH2008 = $9.99
WIX - 51228 = $8.49(I could not find this one, I used the 57302)
Mobil1 - can't remember number $13.99
Motorcraft FL-2008 (I believe now it's a FL-2021) = $8.79 from FordPartsNetwork.com

By the way, the Fram 5618 is almost long enough that it might contact the fan belt if it were to be a bit loose. The FL2021 is about 1 inch shorter than the FRAM.

The difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is that below freezing temps, the 5W will flow better than the 10W. Above freezing and or when the engine is warmed up, both will act like 30 weight oil and have the same high temp tolerance(to a point).

The xxW.. is the winter or below freezing rating of the oil. The ..WXX is the above freezing or operating temperature rating. Higher numbers mean thicker at the rated temperature. Thick is not always better, neither is too thin, all depends on your air temp, engine condition and application.

I have tried the 0W30 Mobil 1 in a previous car and I did not like it, a lot of cold start clatter. I got my LS with 5W20 and it had some cold(March in So Cal) start clatter, almost sounded like a diesel on an uphill just 100 feet from my driveway. With the 5W30 in So Cal, it seems that the oil is just thick enough that there is almost no clatter.

For new cars under warranty technically you must use 5W20. My personal preferance is to use 5W30 since I am pretty confident that it will handle almost any driving conditions I can expect where I live. If I lived in Frostbite Falls Minn, I might use 0Wxx at least in winter. If I lived in Hell Tex, I would probably go with something like 15W40, and of course syn is my religion so I would use syn, not some syn wannabe blend.

Just my opinion and an answer on what's the diff on 5W vs 10W.

Jim Henderson

I have a 2000 LS V8 and was wondering every how many miles am I supposed to change the oil in this vehicle. For my other mercury car I was changing it every 2000 miles can somoeone please advice me I would greatly appreciate it, by the way can I use 10w-40 since I live in deep south tx where it is really sunny or what do you recommend me

s5397 said:
I have a 2000 LS V8 and was wondering every how many miles am I supposed to change the oil in this vehicle. For my other mercury car I was changing it every 2000 miles can somoeone please advice me I would greatly appreciate it, by the way can I use 10w-40 since I live in deep south tx where it is really sunny or what do you recommend me

The manual probably says every 5,000 miles. My 2004 does.

With oil change intervals, some people look at it like religion. Some believe in the 3,000 mile or whatever change. Not going to hurt the car to change more often than recommended.

If you use the syn blend then changing mor eoften than 5,000 miles probably makes more sense than changing full syn sooner. I run syn and plan to change at 5,000 miles. Course if you live where it is dirty, tow, race or have lots of stop and go short drives and idling, then I think the manual pushes for 3,000 miles.

Like I said it won't hurt to change more often, other than putting holes in your pockets.

As for 10W40, I think the 2000s weer probably OK with that or 5W30 was probably standard. I Do Not Know, since I own a 2004 and all my experience in this model is just a tad over 1 month and about 1,500 miles. If it is hot, in general the oil should be fine. There was some bad press on 10W40 in the 90s, the large spread in viscosity meant there were too many VI Improvers which were "burning" up under heat and destroying engines. Probably, this issue has been resolved, but that is also why you see 15W40, a marketing ploy and some technical to get away from the 10W40 curse.

If you use synthetic, it almost doesn't matter what viscosity you use within reason. And the VI Improver issue never popped up with syn, it is different.

Main thing is use oil that meets your API and SAE specs for your engine and change regularly.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

All this 5-30 10-30 talk has me thinking. I usually take my car to Sears or Costco and do some shopping while they do the oil change. Can I request Mobil1 5-30 at these places? Or do I just get what they give me?

I just opened the manual and do what that says, thought about using mobil 1 but I'll stay w/ motorcraft products since that is what it says. I change mine every 3 months or so, I normally do not put 3,000 miles on my cars before than. Course that was because I usually had more than one vehicle up until now.

Members online

Back