oil cooler?

adrenalinejunkie

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am having a new motor put in my ls because the old motor locked up. The old motor had a oil cooler but the new motor they got doesn't have one. Does it need to have one? did they not put one on the newer ls'?

My 03 has one. I "THINK" and I say that CAUTIOUSLY that was part of the "sport package"?

The oil cooler was added as standard equipment (at least on the V8s) in '03. That was the reason for the change to the FL-2021 oil filter--the old FL-2008(?) was too long for the space.

They should be able to order an oil cooler if the one that was on your car isn't still usable. If your car didn't have the oil cooler, your car probably doesn't have the important parts of the oil cooler (eg, the connections at the radiator), so there's not much point to getting one.

If your car had the oil cooler from the factory, you really ought to have it when they replace your engine; it's not like Lincoln put that in there for their amusement...

What I am thinking is that the used engine they got is a different year and it didnt have a oil cooler with it. but my old engine had one. so should i get a new oil cooler(any idea on prices)? use the old one? or not get one?

what year is your ls? When they added the oil cooler in 03 a lot of other things changed so unless my theory is right about maybe it's a sport-nonsport issue there's no way I can see that they could have put it an older motor and have it work. So either it's a sport-nonsport issue...or they really did a hack job on the install?

beaups said:
what year is your ls? When they added the oil cooler in 03 a lot of other things changed so unless my theory is right about maybe it's a sport-nonsport issue there's no way I can see that they could have put it an older motor and have it work. So either it's a sport-nonsport issue...or they really did a hack job on the install?
I thought that I read that the oil coolers in pre-03 cars that were equipped with them, were different than the water/oil heat exchanger that is on the 03+ cars.

adrenalinejunkie said:
I am having a new motor put in my ls because the old motor locked up. The old motor had a oil cooler but the new motor they got doesn't have one. Does it need to have one? did they not put one on the newer ls'?

According to your profile, you have a 2000 LS with the sport package. Next time, include this in your post so we don't have to go looking for it.

Now, my understanding was that all the 00-02 V8 models with the sport package got oil coolers, and all the V8s in the 03-06 line got them (since they were all sports). I believe yours should have one, and you should scream bloody murder until you get one. Or, better yet, refuse the engine they want to install since it is not the appropriate engine for your model. My guess is that they found the cheapest V8 for the LS and said Gee, this bozo won't know the difference. Well, they were not counting on your pals at LvC! Let him have it with both barrels!

Members online

No members online now.
Back