oil filter adapter gasket?

Ricksquickviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a nice size oil leak; I thought I would try to change oil filter adapter gasket how bad of job/ any tips? How would I know if it's leaking from the oil filter adapter gasket? need the Car running to see?

i really depends how fast the leak is for seeing it leak with the car running. as for changing it, its not too hard, just messy. i drained the radiator just to realize that it doesn't matter, it still dumps coolant everywhere, so i wont even drain the radiator next time. theres 4 10mm bolts just use a socket, a swivel and a couple extensions and run through the opening for the swaybar and viola instant mess lol

The part you need is a F6AZ-6840-AA listing for $12.49 and LVC is $9.37

Max

Not hard at all.. works real good if you have an extra set of hands to put the gasket back in. One to hold the gasket too make sure it stays straight while putting in the bolts with the long exstension..

hey, i believe this is the part i need to replace. it seems to leak tons of oil when idling, but only a drip when its in drive. My car looks like it is leaking between the oil filter housing and the block. is that gasket the oil filter adapter gasket? at the parts store they are calling it the oil housing to block gasket. Sorry, I am new at car repair, but i can do things like tune ups, alternators, and brake work.

OK... it's not a hard job.. just at times can be a PITA...

Only 4 bolts the back two are accessed by taking the wheel off and using a long extension through a small access hole.

Work goes fast if you can have an extra set of hands while working on it.

rich you missed his inital question, yes that sounds like the gasket you need
oil housing to block gasket=oil filter adapter gasket :D

thanks a lot! i ordered the part today and will have it tomorrow. Fel-Pro for 5.99 at the zone. cost me 25 for the gasket, 6 quarts of oil, and a new oil filter. i know i will need to get some coolant but i want to wait to see how much i need. its been 600 miles since the last oil change but i might as well do it all at once. any ideas where i can get a new exhaust? i can't find one anywhere for a 94 that doesn't convert it to a single tip =( .

thanks a lot! i ordered the part today and will have it tomorrow. Fel-Pro for 5.99 at the zone. cost me 25 for the gasket, 6 quarts of oil, and a new oil filter. i know i will need to get some coolant but i want to wait to see how much i need. its been 600 miles since the last oil change but i might as well do it all at once. any ideas where i can get a new exhaust? i can't find one anywhere for a 94 that doesn't convert it to a single tip =( .

Never never buy at the Zone!! Ahhh!!!!! Oil and Wax ok... Parts bad Parts Bad...

As for the exhaust you need to go to a custom place. Somewhere someone can bend it for you.

You can get it done for under $500

the only issues i have ever had with repairs were when i let garages and dealers do them. the lincoln dealership wanted 80 for the same exact gasket =/

im new here so i didn't know O_O

And this is where you find out where to get the things you need and how to do it.

Many of us were all in you shoes when we started out.

Just keep asking questions... you'll get more responce if you start your own thread on a subject. Otherwise others will look at the thread as an old thread and pass by the thread.

So do what you have been doing search and read then if you have a question on an older thread start a new thread of your own. (Although this thread isn't that old)

so to anyone who has done this repair, should the gasket be lubricated in any way? i am attempting this tomorrow morning.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to clean the entire surface and put some clean oil on it, but I'm sure when you take it off it'll make a decent sized mess anyway which may lubricate things lol

So how did the zone gasket work? I appear to have the same problem with my 94. Does the Cobra, or Mach 1 stang 4 cam use the same gasket? Just wondering it's whole lot easier to get parts from the zone. I really don't have time to wait for one from AZ

Just had my oil filter adapter gasket, and oil sender switch done, I took it to my local mechanic after reading up on it. It didnt look like something I wanted to do in my driveway.

Fel-Pro works just fine, 30K on mine and no problems or leaks. I try to use Fel-Pro on everything I work on.

There is nothing wrong with a felpro gasket. It's a good quality gasket. All of that other manufactured stuff at autozone is crap. I will agree with that.

Autozone. I don't even go in now. I'm afraid word will leak out to Mespock. I can't stand the wrath. lol.

Members online

Back