oil pan replacement?

louen

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experiance with replacing a 1997 Mark VIII pan? Just looked at mine and the rot is worrying me, rather replace it now before it fails?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Help keep my LSC on the road!:)

My '95 pan gave way on the highway at 70mph+ blew the motor before I could even fathom what happened, not to mention 6 qts of oil on the highway! Damn glad I didn't spin out, nor did anyone else. May she rest in peace!

Lesson - dont wait. Use common sense before spending the $500 to have a shop do it. Poke the pan with a screwdriver if it feels week then replace asap. If solid then just sand and paint with a good quality primer and paint (as best you can) to slow the process.

I check my 98 at each oil change, it is starting to get the bubbles, but not too bad. I will get a used pan and have it powder coated when it comes time.

I also stripped and repainted my oil pan when rust started to develop.

Strip.jpg

Spray.jpg

Bake.jpg

A few hours in the oven.

Done.jpg

Lookin' good again!

When you finish the paint process, I suggest you tape some rags to the bottom of the pan till you get it bolted back onto the engine. The rags will protect your new paint from accidental scrapes that may occur while you bolt it onto the engine.

louen said:
Anyone have any experiance with replacing a 1997 Mark VIII pan? Just looked at mine and the rot is worrying me, rather replace it now before it fails?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Help keep my LSC on the road!:)

You have to drop the k-member to get to it. PITFA!

I have a link somewhere...but yes, you have to support the engine from the top and lower the k member to get the pan out, or in. Not alot of fun.

Yep, suppor the engine from the top. Loosen the k-member (you don't have to pull it). Finagel the oil pump out and it WILL slide up and over although it is a very tight fit.

And I have a pan that was installed 100 miles to one of my '93's puking so it is basically new. You can have for $100 including shipping when I pull the motor if you want it.

When you drop the K member do you just loosen the bolts or do you have to disconnect the steering and stuff also?

Members online

No members online now.
Back