Ok....one For The Electrical Guys

$500_Mark_VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII.

Third Brake Light works, Tail Lights work.

But . . . .

Neither side of the rear brake lights work. ????

Signal Lights do not work, nor does the Emergency Flashers. Neither front nor back.

Back up lights do not work.

Checked Fuses. All good.

Had a very similar issue on a 95 Cougar...check the wires to the MLPS (neutral safety switch on the driver's side of trans). If there has been a long time oil leak, the wires will melt together and for me caused no reverse lights, turn signal, or emergency flashers.

I had the same problem with ny 94. I was away from home, and just sprayed some silicone spray into the warning flasher switch and cycled it a few times. It works great now, although I haven't tried the warning flashers since. It's all part of the multi function switch, which may need replacing.

On my old Mark I think I had a similar issue. Try wiggling the hazard button back and forth a little bit and see if that does anything. For the longest time I thought that button was broke (which took out my brake lights when on like you describe) but by random chance I found that it only needed to be wiggled a bit and then it worked :confused:

Just knew I was going to have to tear apart the console and look for the neutral safety switch.......But before doing that....came home today and started "wiggling" things....Funny, because it was before I read the most recent "wiggling" posts.....Some WD 40 strategically placed....working switches back and forth......taking the tail lights out and "rechecking" the bulbs.....changing out what appeared to be perfectly good fuses.....with a little lubricant on them.....

Low and behold........I have tail lights, brake lights, back up lights, flasher and signal lights.........Wigglin' works!!!!!

Thanks all for the help.

Off to paint tomorrow.

it sounds like the mulit function switch, gen 1's are easy to replace. the easiest test is to cycle the hazard switch quickly this works with most ford multi function switches (except gen2's) and will usually get the lights working for a little while again

Members online

No members online now.
Back