Outter Tie Rod...

Former Member

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well i went in to get an alignment since my car was darting all over the highway. they couldnt do it because they said i need an outter tie rod end, and showed me the 1/2" play in the wheel.

So now im going to buy a tie rod end and do it myself. problem is ive never done this befor. They said it was only .4 of a labor hour. if it takes me longer who cares but ill save about 40 bucks. and the part is about 93$, but i should be able to get it for a little cheaper.

Can someone tell me how to do it? Ive got the general idea from other tie rods and whatnot, is there anything specific to the LS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OUTE...b61b0&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116#ShippingPayment

i would guess its pretty much like 95% of cars today. break the nut on the inner rod that locks in the outer. on the joint itself pull out the pin take off the castle nut and hammer the side of the spindle where the bolt goes through and she should pop out after a few good hits. try to mark on your inner where the outer was so you can get it to the shop without the wheels facing each other. i need to do a outer myself this week . guess ill find out too

haha... sorry, I was polishing a car last night. Not like I could've been much help, other than to tell you the outer tie rod end I just bought from Max was 44.63. Still have to put it on, along with pressing in a new ball joint on the same side.

44.63?! wow...i just paid 73$ for mine, and that was with 20% off!

Its kind of a bear to take off. it took about 30-40 minutes to get mine off. then the new one was on in about 3-5 minutes lol. but that was a 124k mile one.

I might have to order one from Maxx for 43$ and do the passenger side, it really tightens up the steering.

I did mine today as well. I got it for 39 dollars at my dealer here in Milwaukee. But I know a guy who knows a guy. Took me maybe 20 mins. The hardest part was getting the tie rod off the inner but a little Pb blaster goes a long way. Gues we cant help you since you already did it. But at least its done.

yea i just used vice grips on the inner tie rod, what else can you do? lol

Member just hooked me up to where i can get it for cheaper then 43$ as well. so when i do to the passenger side ill have to order from there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back