P0303 and P0305

Riles

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've already sold my car, but I promised the guy that I would fix things if it broke in the first week or so. Well, just my luck- the day he drove it home, it starting misfiring.

The code is a cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. I've swapped the coil packs and injectors with ones from other cylinders to see if the problem moves, but it doesnt, meaning that the coils and injectors are fine. There is no oil in the plug wells (I've already done the gaskets) and there is nothing else down there. The spark plugs look fine, so what can possibly be going wrong?

Help me, I feel terrible for selling a car that has problems so quickly!

the misfires readings are not always accurate on which cylinders.

also pull the plugs.

probably coils. remember the problem can take some time to "move" when you swap coils because they don't seem to misfire all the time (intermittent). You could have the dealer load check them. Is it acting up or did it just throw codes?

It only "feels" like it is misfiring sometimes. Otherwise, the car drives great. Now the misfire changes cylinders on its own- there is always a code for cylinder three, but sometimes 5 and 6 throw codes.

Just today a new code came up- P1309. I had the guy drive the car for a while and then bring it back to me, and it had 4 codes- P0303,P0305,P0306,and P1309.

I'll take the coils to autozone today. Let me know if there is anything else to look for.

P1309 Misfire Monitor Hardware - CMP Misaligned, CKP/CMP Noise, PCM AICE Chip

THis is the Cam position sensor - which is the primary method that the PCM has to determine the cam position for timing - if it's going bad - it would explain your random mis-fires....

I'm glad I finally got the P1309 then, because it explains the random misfires. I searched a few threads on changing the sensor, but haven't really found the info I'm looking for. Do you know if it is a difficult sensor to replace?

So, I bought the sensor and got all ready to replace it, but I don't see where it is. I see the wire, but I lose it after it goes under some pink foam. Am I going to have to remove everything on the engine to get to it? Or is there an easy access hole to get to it?

For archival purposes- the cam position sensor is located on the drivers side, towards the very back of the engine, between the intake manifold and the drivers side head.

I'll take a pic when I'm finished out there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back