PCM catch codes for 93 Mark VIII

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I looked at the PCM to try and find the catch code and I found X3L2, is that a valid code?

I looked at the PCM to try and find the catch code and I found X3L2, is that a valid code?

Yup a very obscure catch code but is valid.
it opened right up in my tuning software

it looks to be a late 93 code but still very robust in the spark and in some other areas that you probably dont have access to.
it looks alot like w2z3 which was reported to be the "baddest of the bad".

X3l2 isn't far from w2z3 in that respect

and like many early codes, if you pull the octane pin it adds 3 degree's of timing unlike the later years where it pulled timing out.

with the octane pin removed you'd have 35 degree's of WOT timing..though, so be careful

but it does have -20 degrees if tip in retard *yuk*

The car was made 10/92 so it should be one of the first Mark VIII's... cool info about the octane pin, I think i'm gonna leave it alone though... not gonna try and hot rod this Mark too much, just keep it clean with a few minor mods.

The car was made 10/92 so it should be one of the first Mark VIII's... cool info about the octane pin, I think i'm gonna leave it alone though... not gonna try and hot rod this Mark too much, just keep it clean with a few minor mods.

Give me all the numbers to the right of the 6 in the vin number and I'll tell you how early it is.

Tiffany's 93 was the 515th off the production line and it had the w2z3 PCM.

BTW

10/92 is very LATE in the 93 production year...just FYI

early in production would be 4-92 or 6-92
10/92 is a solid minimum 4 months into production.
93's were on dealership lots when your car was produced

that is the number of cars that came off the line ahead of it.

So what do you think I should do as far as chip goes... I just need a basic program, mild shifts, 6500rpm shifts, timing retard removed, top speed limiter removed, fans turned on earlier, a little but more timing and leaned out a bit at WOT...

Oh hell I dunnoo..

historicly speaking you have done exact opposite of anything I have ever suggested...SOoooooo..
Whatever you do.. dont put ANY sct product on that car.
*shruggs*

Your gonna be better off just "getting a chip" from someone.
there is no bargain to be had with the sct stuff, so.. dont bother.

a chip blank is 200 and the burner is 450 and you dont even have the software.

So... pick up the phone and call Geno, and send him some money.

So what do you think I should do as far as chip goes... I just need a basic program, mild shifts, 6500rpm shifts, timing retard removed, top speed limiter removed, fans turned on earlier, a little but more timing and leaned out a bit at WOT...

On that particular code, I wouldn't add any timing.
Until it can be driven and tested with a modifed fuel table.

The mark 8's super fat fuel table is probably why there is an azzload of timing in that PCM code.
Once you remove that additional fuel, it's not gonna be "as" knock tolerant as it once was.

most of the 93 PCM {if not all) were very aggressive....and likely wont respond positively to "chunking some timing at them" like the later codes do.

a canned SCT 93 octane file has "less" timing than that stock 93 PCM code does.."you've been warned".

So this PCM is commanding 32 degrees of timing at WOT? That's more than I run in my 98 with my Sniper Tune lol

Tiffany's 93 was the 515th off the production line and it had the w2z3 PCM.

That right, Tommy, or did you mean W3Z2?

Anyway, mine just for giggles:

Date: 01/93
Production number: 78805
Catch code: W3Z2

So this PCM is commanding 32 degrees of timing at WOT? That's more than I run in my 98 with my Sniper Tune lol

yea but I wouldn't go into your 98's tune and pump it up to that level

EECiv and OBD2 have alot of different strategy/logic.

For instance your obd2 car has alot of spark adders and subtractors depending on various conditions...

if you go chunk a wad of timing in there, those adders are going to "rear their ugly head" and probably break something when you least expect it.

Also, since your spraying it.. you want to make sure you dont have some of those "adders" increasing your timing...that could be bad.

Looking further into this pcm code...

the later years the rev limiter was set at 6450
in this particular code and w3z2 the rev limiter is at 6850

another significant difference from the early to the later years.

Is that a blank chip? If so, how much would it cost to burn a tune onto it?

Different tuners charge different amounts....
it's like Pizza, one place charges X while another charges Y.

Members online

Back