Photography 101.

BlackLS06

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Being seeing a lot of good info on taking pictures.

If you guys care to chime in here, i just picked up a new camera and want to start getting more serious about picture taking.

The camera is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX...&qid=1356547690&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+coolpix

Seems to be really good for the price, although its lacking in options and a fixed lens.

So lets share tips and tricks in here.

Congratulations. I had an older model Nikon Coolpix a few years ago and I was getting pretty serious into taking pictures with it too, and then it got smashed in an ATV accident while I was in Alaska.

I recently bought a Nikon D3100 refurbished from Nikon and saved an extreme amount of money doing so. I got one with the 18-55mm lens for $379. I have bought a lot of "open box/factory refurbished" items recently and haven't been let down since. As long as it is not store refurbished or something you should be good.

As far as tips and tricks go, you just have to read. Read up on what aperture, shutter speed, ISO, Metering, and lighting does to your images. Altering with all those things can get you the photo your looking for but messing with one almost always affects one or more of the others.

Just the beginner tips for photography can easily occupy a small book and I am in no way going to cover them all here. Your best bet is to find a channel on youtube that goes in depth on all of the subjects you need. I've been taking pictures for years with multiple cameras and to this day I still reference higher skilled individuals on the weekly. When I first started out, and was trying to learn what all the options did I would take multiple pictures of the same subject and maxing out or minimizing whatever setting I couldn't understand and seeing how if affected the image. That really helped me get an understanding of what the settings did to the image.

Once you learn your way around the camera and get a good solid definition in your head of what affects what and vice versa you can really start slamming out some quality photographs. It just takes a lot of reading and some patience.

There is this guy. http://froknowsphoto.com/ who I reference to a lot. At first you are going to be like "Oh god, this Jewish guy with a giant afro who constantly plugs his websites somewhat witty name is mind boggling annoying", which for this most part is completely true and how I felt at first also. However, he does know everything I've ever wanted to know about photography. He also has literally, to many youtube videos to count. He focus's on DSLR cameras and many of his videos will be DLSR specific but he has many videos that go into detail and describes and shows you what aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Metering, Lighting, and many other things actually change and how that affects your image.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES. I mean a bunch. Were on digital memory now, no more film. There is no reason to be conservative. Don't like it? Delete it. I have taken 100 photos of the same subject only to be happy with 5 or so. Seriously. I just took 86 photos of the same morning dove sitting in a tree covered in freezing rain, 1 of them was decent.

Lastly, don't get discouraged. It will take lots of time to actually capture what you see inside your head, and with enough time you can get it with almost any camera. I have only his this Nikon D3100 DSLR for a few months now, and it is my first DLSR. You don't need a big fancy camera to take great pictures, it just helps, and give you more control over the fundamental settings which can turn a so so image, into something frame worthy. Hell, some of my favorite images have come from my cell phone, and a vast majority have come from super average HP 9 megapixel crap box.

I hope any of that helps.

Merry Christmas!

DSC_0298.jpg

Photography 102

Photography is a very expensive hobby.

You would be far better off finding a used DSLR.

The camera you posted will take some decent pics with a tripod, but will limit you creativity wise, doesn't shoot raw or in manual, both important.

Hell, I have a very nice Canon Rebel in my closet that I could set you up with.

I feel the same way, but I doubt the man is going to go out and buy another camera. He can master that one in a year and be way more prepared for a dslr in the future.

I hadn't realized that he had bought it already. Getting a circular polarizer and a GOOD tripod will help.

Yeah it was an xmas gift actually. Im not looking for pro pics, but looking on flickr it can take some pretty damn good shots.

Just purchased a 32gb class 10 sd card to compliment the camera. My plan is to get good with this one, and then purchase an entry level dslr later on.

giving tips can be tricky itself, because you may tell one person something that they had no clue about, and then you tell another person and they look at you like you just insulted their intelligence. giving tips is especially more tricky for myself since i'm still a beginner.

http://www.carphototutorials.com/tutorials.html once you understand the basics, this is a cool little website that helps with automotive photography

probably the most important thing to remember is that in photography, the most powerful tool is you. you can have a nice camera, lenses, and all the equipment in the world, but without creativity and good eye, all that means nothing.

i have a sony nex-3, a camera which many people doubt the quality of, but i've managed to take some pretty interesting pictures.

below is a picture i took a few years ago when i was first starting out. the photo is clean but i made the beginner's mistake of clipping the front end of the truck. it's simple things like this that you gotta keep an eye out for. one thing i also learned from this session is to not delete pictures on the spot, because there have been pictures i did not like at all, that i would want to delete, but instead i come home and play around with them in whatever photo editing software i have at the time, and come up with something interesting.
tumblr_mcmk1p7E2Y1r731ddo1_500.jpg

Good stuff. Waiting on the sd card to start playing with it.

Here is a good thread on it. http://teamspeed.com/forums/photography-art/63520-photography-101-a.html

I couldn't paste the illustration. If anyone can, feel free to copy the whole thing into this thread.

The illustration shows the path the light travels from the object to the sensor (or film in non-digital cameras).

light-to-sensor.jpg

First the light needs to go through the lens, which is a series of differently shaped pieces of glass. If the focus is good then the light will meet on the sensor.

The aperture is placed inside the lens and is basically an opening that controls how much light reaches the sensor.

On most modern cameras the shutter is placed inside the camera body. This piece of mechanics is what controls how long time the sensor is exposed to the light.

The sensor is a very sensitive plate where the light is absorbed and transformed into pixels. As you can see on this illustration, the image the sensor picks up is actually upside down, just like our eyes sees the world, the processor inside the camera then flips it.

Aperture

aperture.jpg

The aperture sits inside the lens and controls how much light passes through the lens and onto the sensor. A large aperture lets through very much light and vice versa. Knowing how the aperture affects the photograph is one of the most important parts of photography — it affects the amount of light, depth of field, lens speed, sharpness and vignetting among other things. I will talk more about these things in later parts of this series.

F-numbers, a mathematical number that expresses the diameter of the aperture, are an important part of understanding how the aperture and exposure work. All f-numbers have a common notation, such as ƒ/5.6 for an f-number of 5.6. There are a set numbers of f-numbers that are used in photography, there are several different scales but the “standard” full-stop f-number scale is this:

ƒ/# 1.4 2 2.8 4 5.6 8 11 16 22 32
These are known as full-stop f-numbers. If you decrease the f-number with one full-stop, like ƒ/4 to ƒ/2.8, the amount of light that passes through will double. If you increase the f-number with one full-stop, like ƒ/5.6 to ƒ/8, only half the amount of light will reach the sensor.

There can be several f-numbers between the ones above — depending on what scale is being used. The most common one is a 1/3 scale, which means that every third step is a full-stop, and thus giving you two settings between every full-stop. For example between ƒ/8 and ƒ/11 you will find ƒ/9 and ƒ/10. This can be rather confusing at first, so here’s a short reminder:

A higher f-number = a smaller aperture = less light

Shutter

shutter.jpg

The shutter is what controls how long the sensor is exposed to the light. The longer the shutter is open the more light can be captured by the sensor. A fast shutter speed will result in “freezing” a moving object and a slow shutter speed will let you capture the motion of a moving object.

There is a scale of stops for the shutter speeds just like for the aperture, below are the full-stops.

1/1000 s 1/500 s 1/250 s 1/125 s 1/60 s 1/30 s 1/15 s 1/8 s 1/4 s 1/2 s 1 s
And just as with the aperture, the shutter speed is often on a 1/3 scale, giving your two steps in between every full-stop. For example between 1/60s and 1/125s you will find 1/80s and 1/100s.

ISO

The ISO speed (the name comes from the International Organization for Standardization) is a measure of the film speed, or its sensitivity to light. With digital cameras the ISO affects the sensor instead of the film, but the principal is the same. A low ISO speed requires a longer exposure and is referred to as slow, a high ISO speed requires less time to give the same exposure and is therefore referred to as fast. One step in the ISO equals one full-stop, so the ISO is not on a 1/3 scale — film can be found with 1/3 ISO speeds, but it’s uncommon in the digital world. These are the most common ISO speeds.

ISO 50 100 200 400 800 1600 3200
On 35mm film, a film with high ISO speed had much more grain than a slower film — but the modern sensors don’t create the same grain with high ISO speeds. Instead it creates noise. The digital noise is not as favorable as the film grain and can destroy a photo if it’s too visible (the same goes with the grain, but it’s effect was more subtle and often more liked).

If light is no problem, then always use a low ISO number but if you’re indoors with bad light or other conditions when you find the combination of aperture/shutter not to be enough the ISO speed can be a great asset. New digital sensors are constantly developed and the noise levels with high ISO speeds are decreasing with every new release.

Originally Posted by 07MaverickP51 »
Don't you ever let me catch you PHONIES in my side of town............

Last edited by GrayTT; 08-26-2011 at 09:23 AM.

:rolleyes:

Thats a good read. Thanks 05 LS8

Thats a good read. Thanks 05 LS8

Excellent read..

The next thing would be to go try everything out on the camera.

Change shutter speed and see how it relates to aperture.

Change iso and see how it relates to shutter/ etc..

Not a problem fellas.

BL, did you try out the new camera yet?

Just got the card today. Been busy with work, but plan to on my day off.

Video is very crisp even just indoors. Takes up a lot of memory though, 720p mode gives me about half an hour on a 32gb card. Videos come out in quicktime format.

Subscribing to this thread as I don't know much about photography myself, I do however own a Canon Rebel XS and love it and recommend it to anyone who is new to the slr cameras.

My wife upgraded mine for X-mas this year so im pretty stoked to go out and shoot some HD video and some nice crisp photos of the LS :) I also just orderd the Canon 55-250mm Telephoto Zoom Lens to go with it.

8328819866_df87395570_c.png

No wonder your pics come out so good manoli.

So yeah this camera has no manual shooting mode. The step up does, but for $350 i might as well pay a few bucks more and get a D3000.

No wonder your pics come out so good manoli.

So yeah this camera has no manual shooting mode. The step up does, but for $350 i might as well pay a few bucks more and get a D3000.

Thanks ;) But trust me I don't know what im doing I just know how to point and shoot the camera does the rest lol. Im really going to bunker down and really take it serious with this camera, good thing this thread popped up ive read a lot on here so far...keep the thread alive!

Check out ken rockwell's site. He has lens and camera reviews as well as tips for taking better photographs. Also good is lenstip, they actually test the lenses for those who really want to know. It is surprising that some of the more expensive lenses aren't better than the cheap ones. The best bang for the buck is canon's 50mm 1.8. This lens is around $100 and performs better in some ways than the $400 f1.4 and also the $1500 f1.2 50mm lenses. With the crop factor it works out to 80mm and that is agreat lens for portraits. The f1.8 is also very fast, about 4 times faster than the kit lens. The kits lens for that t3i is also quite good, so is the 55-250mm. You have to spend some serious cash to get better lenses. Two other very good lenses in the $600 range are the ef-s 15-85is and the ef70-300is.

...So yeah this camera has no manual shooting mode. The step up does, but for $350 i might as well pay a few bucks more and get a D3000.

Thus becomes the great problem with looking at high end cameras.

"This one is only x amount of money and its good, but for only a small amount more money I can get the next model which has all these features" - This process continues forever. Camera companies have so many models it really becomes difficult.

After 4 hours later of internet searching you're not even in the same camera line up trying to justify to yourself the extra $500.00 over the initial camera you were looking at.

The lack of a manual mode is kinda a killer really. It is going to absolutely keep you from learning what aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc etc because you can't control them.

I don't know who got you the camera, is it someone who would be rather upset if you returned it, IE: Wife? If it's like a third uncle twice removed you see once a year, yeah, I'd return it and put that toward something that would get you what you want.

But you have to lock yourself into a price or you will lose track of what you're after. A great camera with the best set of features for $xxx.xx" because if you just hunt for the best ones, you will soon be in the thousands of dollars range.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have a Nikon D3100. It is awesome, and it really caters to my first DSLR needs. It has nice newbie features like a guide mode that basically pops up like the old windows paperclip guy and is like "Hey newbie, I see your wanting to do this, so try changing that. If that is to intrusive it has a simple question mark button that when held down tells me what changing the current setting I am on will do for me. It's nice.

It's Achilles heel is it's screen. With a DLSR you almost always take pictures with the actual viewfinder but the screen on my D3100 is a rather low DPI LCD screen. Meaning if I was trying to manual focus on something particular, reviewing the picture on the screen wont always let me know if I did it or not unless I zoom in. I was apprehensive about it when I read that on all the reviews, but after living with it, it is really not an issue. Referencing my previous point, the D3200 has a super crisp flip out screen, and a bigger 24MP sensor (sounds nice right) but it blew apart my budget.

I am unsure about cannon's but on the Nikon manual settings you can choose things like "Shutter priority" and "Aperture priority". What that does is move those settings to this fast, very quick to change wheel that you spin to change the value of that setting. So your never really fumbling through the menu trying to set up for that perfect shot, and then miss the moment. It also has dedicated buttons to change the ISO, and getting in the menu, changing something, and getting out can be done very quickly.

Another thing to consider is the fact that you are in essence buying a foundation. You will most likely keep that body for years and years and years, but accumulate more lens's over time. Lens's are expensive, and sometimes cost more than a camera. The newer Nikon's have the auto focus motors in the actual lens's and not in the body, where as Cannon's are in the body and not the lens. How does that affect you? Well say you see a great deal on an old lens. If its old it wont have the auto focus motor in the lens. If you get that lens and put it on a newer Nikon, you will only be able to manual focus. Not really a huge issue. Unless you get super into this photography business you most likely wont be after some crazy rare old lens anyway. Just food for thought.

The rest of the differences are like splitting hair really. Personal preference. For instance my D3100 doesn't have an external mic input and the built in mic is mostly trash. The cannon equivalent of the D3100 (I can't remember the name of it) does. The Cannon also I think shoots 1080P videos up to 32 FPS where my D3100 only shoots 1080P at 24 FPS. But movie making wasn't really a priority for me. Oh and you turn the lens clockwise to zoom in on Nikon's and counter clockwise on Cannon's. Like I said, personal preference.

Also DLSR's are like guns. When people don't use them anymore or want something new and expensive they usually sell them. You can get great deals on used/refurbished ones. I think I mentioned it before in this thread but my D3100 was a factory refurbished one and it is awesome. If no one told me I would have never known it wasn't new. I would recommend always either handling the actual used camera you plan to buy and looking it over, or getting something certified by the manufacturer like I did, comes with bulletproof workmanship warranties that way. I saved a ton of money that way, I got my D3100 for $379.00. New ones on amazon were going for in the $500.00's

There are really hundreds of things to consider when purchasing a DSLR. I know it took me about a month and countless internet reading to make my decision. It really is a rewarding and fun hobby though, I find myself taking the camera with me to random places with no photography goal and finding something that turns into a great picture.

DSC_0196.jpg

No canon lens has the motor in the body since the t80 of the 1980's. It was replaced with the EOS system in 1987 when minolta kicked their butt with the maxxum.

No canon lens has the motor in the body since the t80 of the 1980's. It was replaced with the EOS system in 1987 when minolta kicked their but with the maxxum.

Humm, I was told other wise at some point in my life. I've never owned any Cannon gear so I had no reason to disagree and assumed that was the case. After looking it up though, you are correct.

So even less difference between the two now.

Just check the sidelines at any sporting event, the pros use canon. Their autofocus has been the best and now (with the 5d mark3 and 1dx) stilll is. The pros use L lenses that are white. Take a look at the sidelines and most of the lenses are white.

Just check the sidelines at any sporting event, the pros use canon. Their autofocus has been the best and now (with the 5d mark3 and 1dx) stilll is. The pros use L lenses that are white. Take a look at the sidelines and most of the lenses are white.

So he should buy a Cannon because of thousand dollar white lens's? We've just established that they both use motors in the lens's, and the reason they are on the sidelines of this one particular photography environment is because of the auto focus speed, which would be critical on a sideline type event.

The point still remains that there are no, not 1, major deal breaker difference between the two. I can show you professionally taken amazing pictures all day long and you can not tell me which ones are Nikon and which are Cannon. They are both, excellent camera manufactures. It is really personal preference and which one will provide the features he is looking for and which is the cheaper that day.

Really, the biggest difference is ergonomics.

Until you get into L lenses, which I have a few of, I prefer Sigma's version over the Canon versions almost every single time

I have a few L kenses and a bunch of non L. I have one sigma and it was very poor. I had to have it repaired and now it is good. I find the focus is much better on the genuine Canon lenses, as long as they are ultrasonic. The tests usually agree with me. I find lenstip very useful. The 15-85mmIS is L lens quality without the price. My point is the autofocus in the camera is better. Canon won the pro market for the fast focusing of their lenses. This is based on the system in the camera as well as the lens. The eye controlled focus was amazing, just look where you wanted to focus and bang! It was right on. I have no idea why they no longer use that system. But the best canon cameras have had more focusing points for years, 45 points and now 61!

Members online

No members online now.
Back