Poll: Coil Problems

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a '05 V8 and have had horrible coil issues. By 45k miles i already had four coils replaced. Now at 52k i have ANOTHER misfire going on.....drives like crap. Its so hard to believe that these coils have such a short lifespan. It seems like i get about 1500 miles between each coil going bad. I figure the smartest thing to do now is buy four new coils and replace the remaining original coils. It isnt throwing a code so i dont know which cylinder it is. I drive mostly highway miles going atleast 65 mph. Its my theory that the long miles and high revs destroy these coils quicker than short trips at a slower speed.

Here's my questions for everyone if you've had coil issues:

1)What year LS do you have?
2)V6 or V8 ?
3)How many coils have gone bad?
4)Which coil # were they?
5)What kind of driving do you do?

1) 2001
2) V8
3) 1 coil gone bad
4) #4
5) On a 1-10 scale (1-done the street 10-Drag racing) 5ish

Bought my 02 in August of 05 with 32k, no reason to believe any were replaced and at near 68k still on the originals. I have a slight misfire some mornings when I start up but it never lasts more than a few seconds. My cold idle pulses sometimes but that could be tha IAC. I imagine I'm almost there, but it always goes away and runs like a dream after that and has been doing that for awhile and its never progressed. As a matter of fact I'm getting my best mileage lately with my latest tune from Torrie.

I floor it everyday, do lots of highway driving. Drag raced it probably around 60-70 passes already. Have the basic 3 mods. Car runs as good as ever.

Must be random. When it happens I won't be surprized thats for sure. Just wish there was a better one available.

1) 2002
2) V8
3) I replaced the whole passenger side while I had it apart
4) #4
5) My drive to my office is 16 miles and 85% of it is freeway but often it is stop and go. I work from my office about 3 days a week and I am all around the state the rest of the time.

since i've owned haven't had to do anything to it, put about 10,000 miles on it since i bought it also. but the previous owner replaced 1 coil not sure which one because the sales reciept doesn't say but it only cost him 250 for 1 ignition coil and installation. i think thats a damn good price.... anyways here you go
1) 2000
2) V8
3) 1
4) not sure didn't own the car then and reciept does not say
5) rarely break 2500 rpms unless the speed requires to do so. hint i drive super easy on it. my drive consist of 4 days a week 7/9 miles each way something around there. other 3 days i may not drive AT ALL or i may drive ALOT.

Last edited:
....the sales reciept doesn't say but it only cost him 250 for 1 ignition coil and installation. i think thats a damn good price.... .

Thats crazy to me. I figure the four coils will run me $180 total to my doorstep. I plan to install them myself, i am eager to get those covers off to see what the hell is going on. Another theory of mine is the cover on the coils are causing them fail quicker somehow, trapping heat possibly. Most coils i have seen are out in the open atop the engine.

owned my LS since 50K miles, don't believe any replaced prior to me.
1) 2002
2) V8
3) 1? not yet replaced.
4) 4 according to the codes
5) 10 miles each way to work, 5 miles city, 5 miles highway at 70mph.

Mine just started missing last week @ 70K miles. I plan on replacing gasket and all 4 coils on passenger side in a couple of weeks.

I have a 2000 V8 w/ 76k. When I bought it the VC's were leaking and I had 2 misfires. After I did the gaskets I replaced all my coils and all my spark plugs. Put a CAI on a couple weeks later. I drive a total of 17miles a day to work on back roads and depending on my mood I could be "speedracer" or slow poke. I have had no problems with coils since I fixed it. I avg 17-18mpg. No codes no worries!

2000LS, 43K miles (It remains our "fancy going-out car").
No coil probs, no leaks. Installed CAI and Magnaflow exhaust for XMas. Still love it.

V8
bought it 2 months ago with 82k
coils 1-4 go because of valve cover gaskets
no prob since (nock on wood).

4 Coils replaced on 2002 V8

I have a 2002 V8 Sport with 57800 miles on the clock. I have had to replace two coils that failed. Both of those coils were where oil was found in the wells before valve cover gaskets were replaced on both sides. Cyl. 2,3,6,&8 have been replaced. I went ahead and replaced the two other coils where oil had been in the cylinders even though the coils had not failed yet. I am keeping them as spares.

Keep in mind the validity of this poll is suspect, considering the number of pollsters vs the number of total LS owners in the US..

With that in mind..
2002 V8 LSE
80k miles
Original owner
all original coils.

Caught my valve cover gaskets before the oil killed any coils

At 78K miles I replaced the plugs, coils, and valve cover gaskets and haven't had a problem since (done at Florida LM), I'm currently at 116K miles. 2000 LS V8.
The coils went bad when I was commuting 26 miles each way - Celebration, FL - Downtown Orlando - 90% I-4. Then I got a new job and for 4 months I was commuting from Celebration to Melbourne - 88 miles each way and had no problems with the coils.

2004 V8 25,000 miles. Not a confirmed coil problem, but the car dropped dead four times with mysterious symptoms. I talked to the dealer about the problems I had read here with #4 coil causing RF interference, but they refused to replace it. They did agree to swap it to the other side, and I haven't had any problems since.

2003 ls v8 ultimate......99,890 first problem with the coils last month.....I've put 85 of the 99k miles shes got on her....And I've run the hell otta that car!!!! I've done 120-130 mph for three straight hours...no lie's!!! I dunno...I guess I've had great luck with the car....

Bought my 2004 in 2005 with 14,000 miles on it. The coils started acting up after I got stuck in 100+ heat on a freeway that was shut down for about 90 minutes. Left the AC on and it was fine. Soon as the freeway opened, and I accelerated the car started to stumble etc. This was at about 36,000 Miles?

Dealer over two separate trips over 2 or 3 months and over a total of about 3-4 weeks , replaced at least 7 maybe all 8 coils. Seemed like the problem jumped around every time they changed one coil. If it was me I would have just changed them all at the same time, but since it was under warranty I guess Ford doesn't routinely remove and replace just like they would if it was your money. I was under warranty and a rental was covered, but it sure dropped my opinion of these car's reliability. Was compleated at about 43,000 miles.

Just my experience,

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back