Possibly Tranny Problem...

Dark_Majesty_06

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay.. heres my problem.. my tranny slips a little when going from drive to overdrive.. usually it happens when I gun it.. with OD on( i know.. its bad to drop down with OD on) and let off.. mainly showing off.. you know.. WOT.. and 2 seconds later i'm off it completely.. it'll slip.. just maybe.. 4-6 seconds.. and go right into gear.. it doesn't do it all the time.. usually.. once or twice every 7 days.. I'm thinking the trannys going out.. I have a backup from a town car.. but if this one can be saved.. maybe doing the Mercon swap and filter? I know though.. filters either make or kill your trannys... atleast from my experiance.. usually when I switched my chevy tranny filters.. it either made them run great.. or killed them.. I mean they were 700R4's but still... so a tranny flush and filter.. maybe.. or just do the switch to my other tranny.. Jmod and chip.. and go on with my life.. ? BTW... with Jmod and Mark VIII shift kits work with 95 town car trannys? Same thing.. right?

I had an "tranny" issues. Many posts about it on the forums. Everything looked like a trans issue. I could not go WOT, etc without it kicking in and out. It would catch but them seem to loose power.

Turns out the new coil packs were bad. Spent a lot of money chasing this one.

Just an FYI.

Hmm.. really.. did yours seem to slip a little? I know its slipping.. because it'll be like its in neutral.. then go right in gear.. but its worth it.. to try and replace my coils.. how much do they run.. and which ones do I need.. if your "new" ones were bad?

Ya.. i mean.. I'm usually not hammering it when it happens.. so i'll notice it.. but it goes right in gear after about 4-8 seconds.. like nothing ever happened... works just fine for the rest of the time.. till it does it agian.. makes me think.. old filter and fluid...

So RPM go way up then it goes into gear? Hmmmm. Could be the fluid, filter, damaged/stuck check balls.

By going into gear do you mean is shifts into gear or just catches. It will not feel the same.

Thinking is may be hanging shifts and not slippage.

I know very little about trans... so forgive me. But, could it be a MLPS issue? That dropping in and out of gear kinda sounds familiar.

OKay.. it sorry.. uh.. IT shifts fine.. it doesn't slip.. my def of slip is when its going from D to OD.. it will rev.. like that cars in neutral.. then kick into gear.. not hard.. just like it always does.. nice and soft... It usually only happens after I hammer it hard.. then let off.. only hammering for maybe.. 5 seconds.. just to get it to kick down.. then I let right off.. and it usually only does this 1 or 2 times a week...

Odd. Blue may be right about the MLPS. When bad weird things can happen. I dont think its slippage, yet, because it happening between shifts.

How new is the MLPS?

Stock im assuming.. i'll try to replace it and let everyone know... lets cross our fingers... i'll also replace fluid and filter while i'm at it.

Sounds like a plan! If you are gonna do all that, you might as well do your accumulator pistons and springs and maybe even the J mod. (if these things were never done before) Heck, get a tranny cooler too! :)

Yes. Doing all that will help narrow things down and if its stock, it will go soon anyway. Its easy to replace the MLPS. It on the outside of the trans. Make sure the car is in neutral and line up the alignment lines.

Members online

Back