Power wire

02lincoln3.9

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site whats up. Had a quick question for anyone with a bigger alternator. When I look through the book and trace the battery wire it looks like its in sections. I was wondering if anyone replaced this wire and if so did you cut the wire like the factory or did you run 1 single wire straight through. I bought a 200 amp alternator from dbelectrical.com and they recomend changing the wire for more current. My car looks like its got 6 gauge in it, in my mind it should be enough to carry the current by it self. Any help would be great thanks.

Leave the stock wiring, and just add a single run of 0 gauge straight to the back.

Also if you upgrade this wire, make sure you also add a ground of 0 to the battery as well.

And while you're at it, you might as well hit all of the 'big 3' and add an engine block ground of 0 gauge.

This way you have increased amperage in your electrical and now you have a much more efficient path for current to travel that amperage around.

So just leave the stock wire and run a new wire from the alternator to battery. Is there any wired that get spliced into the stock wire at its connecting points. Thanks for the reply. What about the starter should I upgrade that wire too thank.

Not sure what you mean about splicing, you do not need to do any of that unless you have a special reason to do so? Just simply connect the larger run you put down with a ring terminal or something of the sort to attach to the battery post just like the stock wire is now.

And yes just add the extra 0/1 ga. wires to those spots mentioned. You do not need to upgrade your starter cable. Just those other three as they're the main components of the electrical system.

What I mean is the stock wire one straight shot to the battery and nothing else atttached through out the car. So if I run a 0 gauge from the alternator to the battery and bypass the stock wire I can leave the stock wire and just let it sit there unattached completly. Thank you for your help I really appreciate your input. This is just car I play with it runs good but I would just like to upgrade a few things.

Just run from alternator to battery with a single beefy wire and you will transfer that extra amperage from the alt straight to the battery.

How much did your HO Alt cost if you don't mind me asking.

$216.00 shipped, I had put 2 new alts in already that I bought around town that were supose to be 165 amps. Wasted my time putting them in and started the car, it ran for about 3 minutes and check charging came again. Get the multi meter out at idle 11.2 volts. So i was looking around and saw a few people were using the dbelectrical alts. So now I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help, im just goning to run the new wire and leave the stock wire in its place. I need to check under the car as to were I can store the stock wire up and out of the way.

I get the new alt this week maybe wensday thanks again

Would anyone be interested in a group buy for these if I can get them to do one? I'm going to upgrade to the 220 amp alt for the electric fan swap. My other question is if they take into account for the fact that our battery is in the trunk for the wire length. If you do the swap you should do a quick write up.

I doubt DBElectric sends you power wire with it. Probbaly @ extra cost and overpriced.

Look into some kicker 0/1 hyperflex. Awesome cable.

dbelectrical offers the power wire but its only a few feet with a inline fuse. I dont think its worth it, just get some name brand power wire from you local stereo shop and run your own. I am going to put the fuse in the trunk near the battery though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back