Pre-Cat 02 Sensors Question

DkAir_SS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Are the Pre-Cat 02 Sensors hard to replace? Can one do them without having the dealer do them. Is there a special tool required?

Thanks.

not at all you can get them from AZ pretty cheap. I think I did mine without the tool.

I would not worry about the post cat 02... I think they mainly are there for the tree huggers to test the car and possibly during warm up open and closed loop testing.

DkAir_SS said:
Can you get to these from the top or do you have to go under the car?

tHanks

under... you will definitely need to jack the car and put it on stands unless you know someone with a lift.

I have the 3.9 v8, 2000. 67,000 miles. AZ guy just told me what the machine said. I remember seeing the unit as he did it and it said something about bank 0 something oxg sensor. (not 100%). He said it was the driver side pre-cat sensor. I will stop back in tomw and have it redone to get the code again to verify and will post back..

well based on the engine alone I know you have cleared the woods on what I had suspected. The v8 does not have the PCV like the v6 does.

have you tampered with the throttle body, Mass air flow sensor or air intake at all?

I would replace both at the same time... i believe it is what bosch and oem recommends.

I have done nothing to the engine but replace the cap to degause bottle (i think thats what its called) The light did go off the next day afetr having it read AZ which was a week and a half ago. It just happened to pop back on again today so I thougt its time to replace the sensor he was talking about. I will go back in tomw and have it re-read again to make sure its the same thing.

i owned a V6 and I know I replaced my 02 sensors around 80k+ miles... not certain what the v8 owners were doing though. I do not recall many posts on this.

If you havent been around the airbox, maf etc then chances are good it is the sensor.

just because AZ reads that the sensor is giving bad signals doesnt mean the sensor itself is bad. if you go to a dealer, that's a somewhat expensive fix and may not even make the CEL go off, because something still may be trippin the sensor. you may want to run a full diagnostic at a dealers before you do the work just to make sure, this is what im doing soon (also have an '00 V8 with a similar error code referencing the 02)

Have the dealership run a full diagnostic, plz. I go there for Oil change only, other then that they see very little of my money. The o2 sensors in my cars have seemed to always needed to be replaced between 60 and 80 thousand miles. I will drop the 100.00 bucks for the two fronts sensors since they will need to be replaced SOONER then later.

true, might as well do them at your mileage. im only at the 52k mark, so im a little suspicious if mine failed already.

maybe some V8 owners will chime in on this. I know that there were some vac hose issues between the firewall and the engine.

Iwill checkall data to see what I can cme up with.

ahhh fuel injectors... Looking a the PP diag

p0174PP.jpg

I know that more then enough folks have had Fuel INjectors with poor pulse width. You could easily end up with a rich or lean condition.

Nice to know you're still out there

eL eS said:
not at all you can get them from AZ pretty cheap. I think I did mine without the tool.

I would not worry about the post cat 02... I think they mainly are there for the tree huggers to test the car and possibly during warm up open and closed loop testing.

Well, eL eS, glad to see you're are still with us even if your ride has changed. Seems as though a lot of current posters on the site now are really into mods like big sound systems, big wheels and body modifications. :) All nice enough but I sure miss the education that I used to get from folks like yourself who had figured out the gremlins that go along with these LS's.
Don't forsake those of us looking to learn from your experience with these "gotta love em cars". :D Lincolnlov

Lincolnlov said:
Well, eL eS, glad to see you're are still with us even if your ride has changed. Seems as though a lot of current posters on the site now are really into mods like big sound systems, big wheels and body modifications. :) All nice enough but I sure miss the education that I used to get from folks like yourself who had figured out the gremlins that go along with these LS's.
Don't forsake those of us looking to learn from your experience with these "gotta love em cars". :D Lincolnlov

The words are far to kind for me... Thanks.

I have been busy with biznez travel and studying MS .net 2.0 + C# * PI r sqrd % googlplexian - n ^3 /0

I am making more me time. Plus now that I see that the LS is still up to its old tricks I can hardly ignore them. Heck I think I will open a shop just to deal with LS's lord knows the dealers are not applying themselves to this cause well enough.

Members online

No members online now.
Back