Problems with my '03 Nav Radio

OttyMatic

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife totaled her car so I was finally able to take the insurance money and buy myself a 2003 LS V8 with every option on it.

When I got it home I noticed that when the radio volume was turned up over 1/4 volume, it would start to decrease in volume all the way down to mute. I thought it might be the speed sensor control but when I turned that off on the touch screen, the problem still existed.

Are there "parental controls" or something like that that causes the radio to mute when you turn up the volume? It has the THX with the amp and 10 speakers so I'd really like to crank it up :D

If it isn't something simple, do you think I'd be best to send it to wherever the dealers send the radios to or should I buy a used replacement one off of ebay??

Thanks for your help. I look forward to becoming part of this great site.

It's probably your clockspring starting to fail. There are no parental controls.

These cars have more options available than most think. So far, everyone that I've come across who has said they had every option were at least two or three short of that. How do you know that you have everything?

Lol

You would be better off buying a new aftermarket unit if that is the problem.. do you have the srs light on?

I disagree with that.
The clockspring is not too expensive or hard to change. If it is failing, then soon the SRS and the cruise control will be gone too. If OttyMatic is not concerned about losing all those functions, then there is one wire behind the headunit that he can cut to stop the volume control issue (as well as all radio steering wheel functions).

I meant if his headunit was the problem, I would go aftermarket rather than buy a used stock.. ;)

Defiantly check the clockspring because like Joe said, that is the cheaper fix..

What does the clock spring do? Very curious. How would the radio effect the SRS and Cruis control.

What does the clock spring do? Very curious. How would the radio effect the SRS and Cruis control.

The clock spring transfers all of the electrical connections between the rotating part of the steering wheel and the rest of the car.

These connections include:

Horn
Driver's front airbag
radio controls on the steering wheel
Cruise controls
Steering wheel buttons illumination

It's probably your clockspring starting to fail. There are no parental controls.

These cars have more options available than most think. So far, everyone that I've come across who has said they had every option were at least two or three short of that. How do you know that you have everything?

mine does...

mine does...

Mine has everything for 06 except for heated rear seats, and block heater.

If yours is an ultimate (has elite package), then you would have to add heated rear seats, adjustable memory pedals, Tri-coat paint, side air curtains, extended rear park assist, and engine block heater.

Yeah i have all of those options.

I got really lucky.

Im not sure about that but i have every single option as far as the pedals and heated seats and all that stuff.

I dont consider that an option its just paint.

Mine has everything for 06 except for heated rear seats, and block heater.

If yours is an ultimate (has elite package), then you would have to add heated rear seats, adjustable memory pedals, Tri-coat paint, side air curtains, extended rear park assist, and engine block heater.

I have everything you listed joegr, but I wasn't aware that they had an engine block heater. Was this option available in 2003 and if so how would I know?

thanks

I have everything you listed joegr, but I wasn't aware that they had an engine block heater. Was this option available in 2003 and if so how would I know?

thanks

AFAIK, it was available for all years, and was a dealer add only.

Where is the cord at? On my ranger (I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket), it comes out in the middle between the bumper and grille

Where is the cord at? On my ranger (I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket), it comes out in the middle between the bumper and grille

I'm not sure, but I've seen the door that installs somewhere in the front bumper. While it is a dealer installed item, it is a Ford factory part. A special cord plugs into the connector inside the door.

I need to check if i have the heater....its a texas car so i dont think so but ill look tomorrow.

I do have an empty connection not being used under the hood right below the degas bottle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back