Putting In New Head Unit Help!!! Please

944Porsche

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
im putting in a pioneer nav head unit and the harness i have only goes to one of the 3 connectors my stock head unit has, am i supposed to plug in all 3 or are the other 2 not needed for the aftermarket head unit?

I used 2.
It all depends on your head unit. When I was messing around with my 2000 V8, I found that one plug is for the CD changer, the other goes to the mids and highs. the last plug is for the factory amp. Did it come with directions. Your aftermarket harness should come with schematics. I got mine at Best Buy for less than 20 Bucks.

It all depends on the headunit, mine has like 2 I think, and with my wiring kit I only used one, but I lost the delayed acc. feature for the aftermarket headunit :(

there should be one 8pin small square harness, one 14pin rectangle harness, and one 16ish pin square harness

the 14 pin rectangle is for the power and speaker wires, (AKA the main harness)

the 8 pin square harness is for the inputs for the factory subs and the center console speaker amps (optional)

and the larger square harness is the radio's input (factory CD changer, sat, ect) this one is not used unless you are putting in a steering wheel control adapter, in which case you will only need to tap in to one of the wires

the RAP (retained accessory power) has nothing to do with which harness you use, it was handled internally by the factory radio, you can keep this feature but you need to run a wire from your passanger C pillar for the ACC

there should be one 8pin small square harness, one 14pin rectangle harness, and one 16ish pin square harness

the 14 pin rectangle is for the power and speaker wires, (AKA the main harness)

the 8 pin square harness is for the inputs for the factory subs and the center console speaker amps (optional)

and the larger square harness is the radio's input (factory CD changer, sat, ect) this one is not used unless you are putting in a steering wheel control adapter, in which case you will only need to tap in to one of the wires

Can't get any more detaild than that.

ok yea i have to take it back out i think any way the head unit keeps freezing and its really irritating, i did install an alpine 10 in type s with it though, sounds real good but i gotta find the rattles that keep making me turn the bass down, not trying to be "that guy" that pulls up full of trunk rattles

start looking around the license plate, that seems to be one of the major places due to the plate only having two screws to hold it in

Members online

No members online now.
Back