Radio Removal 95 Lincoln Mark VIII

halschmidt

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my Mark VIII's radio. I have a set of radio removal tools that worked on my Ford Probe. I insert them and twist them and all that happens when I pull is the tools come loose.

My objective is to connect a wire and jack to the radio so that I can plug my MP3 player into it. I have one of those cassette interfaces which works except the player keeps reversing and then ejects the tape, so it does not work correctly. I do not use the cassette and have a Belkin RF interface for the MP3 but have to keep changing stations and batteries.

Can anyone point me to some instructions or give me some tips on how to get the radio out?

Remove the panel that has the computer controls, on the dash above the radio. you will be looking down into the dash onto the top of the radio / radio mounting bracket.

you should be able to push the radio out from behind.

any regular set of allen wrences will get it out just make sure to match up the right sizes.... maby the probs are different sizes
do u have the regualr sized player or the one thats 2x the height ( if u understand that haha)

It is 2x height radio as you call it, like every Mark VIII I have seen. I have removed the computer control panel (it poped right out) and I have the removal tools in place. The radio is still solid, seems like something else is holding it. Thanks for the help, but I think I could use a little more. Any other suggestions?

halschmidt said:
It is 2x height radio as you call it, like every Mark VIII I have seen. I have removed the computer control panel (it poped right out) and I have the removal tools in place. The radio is still solid, seems like something else is holding it. Thanks for the help, but I think I could use a little more. Any other suggestions?

1993-94 marks had single din radios, (1x)
1995 and up had double din,but removal is the same with both,

i used a thick metal coat hanger and made my own tools,then the next day i saw i could buy real ones for 3-4 $,didnt know the local parts store carried them.

but it worked fine.

if you have tools from the probe they should work,insert tools and while looking from the top through computer panel opening,you should be able to angle them and watch the spring clips flex....

I tried coat hangers, allen wrenches, and a new tool from O'Rielly's and none worked. I went to the Ford dealer and found a mechanic in the parts department, who volunteered to try his tool and it worked. It is slightly bigger around than the other tools and the radio immediatley came lose. They will not sell the tool, so I wonder where you get one? Thanks Ford.

I wonder what's different on your player. I used the tools from the parts store and Mine came right out on my 95.

You must have that extra special unit....

Well at least it's out now.

I do not know, I looked at your gallery and mine is even the same color. The springs on the clips are really stiff. I must have got one with more stobborn clips, maybe mines a female. Now I have to figure out how connect the MP3. I can see 4 printed circuit cable wires coming off the read head, thats easy pick 2 up, but then comes the hard part, how do you fool it to make it think there is a tape in it and be able to switch back to the radio? Maybe a new one with MP3 built in is the answer. Any suggestions?

What is a good source? My search turned up Visteon MACH® MP3 Music System, but I cannot find them online and the nearest dealer is 100 miles away. I would like one that has an input plug for a portable CD or accept 1 or 2 gig SD chip.

all the radios are all the same removal wise.

we dont have a special source for the tools. some buy them from snap on. ive noticed the tools at wal mart appear to be of a lower quality.

I found one at Walmart that has a CD, USB, SD and aux input, which i never found on the internet, so I was suprised. Thet also had the faceplate and electrical adapters. The quality is not the greatest and after I installed it, it has no sound. There is no output coming off the speakers, so it goes back today. Another case of electronic infant mortality.

Hal,

The Scoche wire harnesses should work with no problems and if you wire them color to color is all you need to do.

Dash unit should just plug in from there...

Remember that Wal-Mart contacts companys and has them reduce their quality in order to get the lower prices.

Rich,
Things that should work easy are not working. I went back for a third unit and they tested this one at Walmart and got static to come out of a speaker (they had no antenna hooked up) So they have output coming out. I have checked each wire and the only thing I had a problem with was the auto antenna electric which I hooked to a blue wire on the long power terminal. I disconnect my power antenna a long time ago because it did not work right and I do not like it going up and down. The other wire that might be a problem is the "panel light white" from the radio which I hooked to the orange "illumination dash light" on the sosche connector. Maybe I need to hook the orange illumination dash light wire to the orange auto electric antenna wire from the radio? Could be it is mislabeled or something. Thanks for the help

I found the problem, you have to hook the striped blue wire from the Scoche connector to the red wire or the speakers will not work. Scoche tech support had the answer. The Roadmaster techs have not called back, they make the radio. Sorry to put Walmart to so much trouble, but there is nothing that tells you to do this. It only took four hours of testing running around to find it out. I love the new unit. It plays CD's hooks to my MP3 and will accept SD chips and USB memory modules with music in MP3 of WMF and it was cheap, the more expensive ones did not have the features. The Chinese are beating us folks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back