Re-finished trunk lock cover

MarkVIII93

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was extremely bored, so I thought Id take a stab at refinishing my trunk lock cover. I got it off, sanded it and then painted the back side black. Tell me what you think.
Picture030.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Hey Hottie,

I love it, but not sure about how it looks on a white Mark...I think you should mail it to me and let me put it on my black one....;) :cool:

No kidding! I want one!

SMOOCHES
MsM8

Hey MsM8,
I wanna take a stab at doing this, but I have a 97. Lucky for you I have a 94 set of tail lights laying around. If I spray it black for you, and send it to you, do you want to send me your other one?

How did you get it off? did you remove the taillights or just pry it out?

Iwantmymarkback said:
Hey MsM8,
I wanna take a stab at doing this, but I have a 97. Lucky for you I have a 94 set of tail lights laying around. If I spray it black for you, and send it to you, do you want to send me your other one?

if she wont i will :)

looks nice btw

First I removed the carpet covering the nuts that hold the tailight assembly on, then I removed the nuts themselves, then there are 2 small screws that hold the center trunk lock cover onto the tail light assembly.. I removed those. Then there is a small hole in the back side of the trunk lock cover, which i decided to wrap a small screw driver with tape and pop the plastic piece out. Its a lot less complex than it seems. Hey Msm8stress! I have an extra one sitting right next to me. I can send it to you free via US mail. All you will have to do is remove the tail lights, then the TL cover.

MarkVIII93 said:
First I removed the carpet covering the nuts that hold the tailight assembly on, then I removed the nuts themselves, then there are 2 small screws that hold the center trunk lock cover onto the tail light assembly.. I removed those. Then there is a small hole in the back side of the trunk lock cover, which i decided to wrap a small screw driver with tape and pop the plastic piece out. Its a lot less complex than it seems. Hey Msm8stress! I have an extra one sitting right next to me. I can send it to you free via US mail. All you will have to do is remove the tail lights, then the TL cover.

You've already painted it black and silver?! SURE! I'll PM ya!

THANKS HOTTIE!!!!!!!!

SMOOCHES!

MsM8

I love that first pic, of the black on black, wondering how sharp it would look on mine, I do like the black better than the red on both....plus black would be nice if you blacked out all the lights...is that legal?

MsM8

That actually looks better than mine! :D

mini-vanityplate.jpg

When you put it back on, what did you use? I used 3M trim adhesive which reacted slightly with the freshly painted backside.

Iwantmymarkback said:
Hey MsM8,

Sure, but I'd have to give MarkVIII93 first dibs ;) You have a whole good taillight assembly? Mine is busted, not horrible, but needs replaced. PM if you do and let me know a price!

THANKS HUN! SMOOCHES!

MsM8

how did u guys paint the center inside peice inside the chrome lincoln symbol black...mines red and after grinding it done theres no way 2 get to it?...

Dawkins said:
how did u guys paint the center inside peice inside the chrome lincoln symbol black...mines red and after grinding it done theres no way 2 get to it?...
Well, when you pop the plastic piece out. The lincoln star is engraved I guess you could say, into the back side. All I do is sand everywhere BUT the star is. And it comes out that the surrounding is clear and the star is still chrome because the back side of the paint hasnt been touched. Then you sand the backside clear part with higher grit sp. Then you wipe the surface down with an adhesive cleaner/remover. I just used "trim black" paint. Made by SEM. The pictures dont do justice, you must see this piece in person.

driller said:
That actually looks better than mine! :D

mini-vanityplate.jpg

When you put it back on, what did you use? I used 3M trim adhesive which reacted slightly with the freshly painted backside.
I used somaco brand 88r silicone construction sealant. It doesnt effect the paint what so ever.

So what your saying so u just sandpaper the whole back peice except for the groves where the star is and it will take my red flake away?

Dawkins said:
So what your saying so u just sandpaper the whole back peice except for the groves where the star is and it will take my red flake away?
Yeah, Just sand everywhere except for where the star is until the red goes away. If you havent even started yet... You have to get the adhesive off the back first, Then sand it down.

I started but theres not enough sand on the paper no more i got to go to work and get more...thanks bro i was always wondering how to change the colour i might just go straight chrome depending how it looks once it's back on the car...thanks for your time man

ONEBADMK8 said:
The Lincoln "star" is FAT as hell on the Marks. Heres mine.

trunk1.jpg

Ill be doing these with our CobraStar logo soon.

Ahhh! looks nice. Although in the first one I can see the original star a little bit.

Members online

No members online now.
Back