Ready to buy my first LS...Need your help and advice!

pktaske

LVC Member
Reaction score
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and hopefully I'll be around here for a while. I'm looking at a 2001 with a V8 and 98k. Seems to drive nice and engine sounds quite good. Nothing leaking, dripping pinging, etc. He's selling it for $3700 but he'll take $3500. Needs cash. Has records up the wazoo from his father-in-law (he took it over bout 2 years ago) who even recorded when he waxed the car. It has some issues and I wanted your op:

-Winshield cracked. I can replace it for about $265 but how can I tell if it needs the rain sensing feature? That's $100 more I think.

-Right side mirror clean broken off. About $80 on Ebay but I'll have to paint it.

-Biggest unknown - DS window. He says is off track and he has it taped up. Motor still works (again-he says). Is this a common or expensive problem to fix?

-Smells like cigarettes. Hopefully that will fade (I hope).

-Lastly, stereo sounds pretty weak for a 6-CD changer premium(?) system. My Windstar sounds better. Something more wrong?

Other than that, car looks really good. He's on hard times and no job for a year. Legitimate hardship case. Also says to his knowledge never had the ign. coils done. I though that those were a gimme.

Do I need to offer him less? Stay away?

Most importantly - will I love this car like my Mazda MX-6 ???

Thanks people...Nick!

Last edited:
You'll need a window regulator. Use the crappy search feature here to find out all that is involved in fixing that. Coils aren't necessarily a gimme. I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a 2000 still on the original coils. I don't know what your budget is or what your repair budget is. If your budget is so low that the difference between $3500 and $5000 will keep you from getting the car then likely your budget is too low to handle the repair costs. Parts for the LS aren't cheap. If your budget can handle $5000 I'd keep looking for something closer to that price range that doesn't have all the damage. If the current owner didn't fix the window or the mirror he probably has let other items go as well.

When it comes to loving your car; you know how the Millenium Falcon was a piece of junk that kept breaking, but was still awesome? That is how you should look at an LS.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like the regulator is a pretty easy and (relatively) cheap job. When all said and done, I should only be in the hole for about $450 which includes the windshield installed. I asked him to take it through inspection tomorrow to make sure it fails for only the external stuff.

I think I'm going to get the car if it passes emissions and all the important stuff. I really like the way it drives. Looking at the pics you guys posted got me amp'd.

be careful, very careful on the 01

i have an 01V6, you got to have deep pockets for the early models. you do not want the hydraulic fan, ever......pay some more and get a later model with electric fans. You're gonna dump thousands of dollars into the 01. It sure is a nice car, but the worst, most expensive car I've ever owned. You can be sure of a big repair bill once per year. Check out the cost of an oil pan gasket replacement.

Really?? :( this guy never had any probs for 9 years. I looked thru all of the records.

I got a shot at a 2005 V6 for $7k too. Maybe I'll grab that instead....but it sounds like these things eat cash for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What am I supposed to buy if I want a nice luxo ride without having to spend 20+ grand for a used BMW or G35? Part on those suckers have to be expensive too...

That must be an ls from the top of the apple tree, that is a long time.I would go for the v8, the extra horsepower wouldn't hurt

I have a 2000 V8.. I love this car. I, much like you, bought it with many problems but fixed most of them on my own and saved a bunch. Now I am starting to mod like the rest. Just got a new 2nd job today so that means extra cash for the LS.. YESSSSS! :D

I would go for the v8, the extra horsepower wouldn't hurt

let me save you some time and keep this thread from going straight to four pages

dont you know that horsepower is bullsh!t, why waste your time on such a bullsh!t platform, i would just buy a 4 door vette if i were you.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a 2000 still on the original coils.

your just plain nuts, why the hell didn't you just replace them while you where already in there replacing the johnson rod, your just going to have to do it again in a few miles

let me save you some time and keep this thread from going straight to four pages

dont you know that horsepower is bullsh!t, why waste your time on such a bullsh!t platform, i would just buy a 4 door vette if i were you.

Please don't bring Morbid into this - I just want to find out about this car...:)

Eat cash, burn cash,,,,but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, if you love the car, buy it!!!!!!!!!! I've never been more happy with a car than the LS, even tho it costs an arm and a leg to own. Many have had better luck than me,,,,but stay away from the hydraulic fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I warned you!

If you've ever had a wife or a high maintenance girlfriend?????? An LS is much cheaper to own and gives more enjoyment! And no alimony to pay!

:)

If thats your budget go for it but if you can go with payments then I would go for an 06 LSE!!!

^^^ I was going to say the same but there are no 06's in that price range, unless it is in pieces and flatten by a tree os something.

Oh yeah............... Screw horsepower, just get the v8 to say it's a v8 then.

If thats your budget go for it but if you can go with payments then I would go for an 06 LSE!!!

well thats kind of a no brainer, every one here would buy a 06 new off of the lot if they could afford it.

Benefits!

If it wasn't for my Lincoln all my tools would rust!

well thats kind of a no brainer, every one here would buy a 06 new off of the lot if they could afford it.

Agree. The lure of this car is the price. If I had $12K to plunk down, I'd probably be buying a G35 sedan.

If you really want the car and are willing to dump some cash into, then buy it, it's always good to have the history you said this car has.

Like some of the other members mentioned, take a look at few others LS's and see whats out there before you make a decision at the very least.

Well not me...I could afford payments right now but I dont want to deal with payments right now. Im gonna just sit tight & mod my car all the way.

If you really want the car and are willing to dump some cash into, then buy it, it's always good to have the history you said this car has.

Like some of the other members mentioned, take a look at few others LS's and see whats out there before you make a decision at the very least.

I'm going to get it tomorrow. $3200. My first V8. :p

Really?? :( this guy never had any probs for 9 years. I looked thru all of the records.

I got a shot at a 2005 V6 for $7k too. Maybe I'll grab that instead....but it sounds like these things eat cash for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What am I supposed to buy if I want a nice luxo ride without having to spend 20+ grand for a used BMW or G35? Part on those suckers have to be expensive too...

get a mark viii, get just as much luxury as a ls, but you go a hell of a lot faster and still get 20-25mpg!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back