Rear end

Highlander

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had a LS for bout a yr now. it has now become my project car. I was wonder if anyone knows how much power i can send to my rear end till i GOES KABOOM? if any one has a idea PLEASE let me know.

So thats what you meant by rear end under construction. By the way, what did you blow when you say you blew your rear end? Gears in the diff?

Mine fell apart with factory power at 54k.... Ring and pinion gears seemed to be fragile...

Pinion bearing ate :q:q:q:q, decided to upload the tune and take it out again for ha ha's since it needed replacing anyways, snapped it in half, atleast I hope so, car wouldnt move after a 1-2 shift.

Mine fell apart with factory power at 54k.... Ring and pinion gears seemed to be fragile...

Wow and that's a v6. Weird thing is they put 400HP down in the jag s-type R, maybe it's of better construction.

Quik has a comment on this, around here somewhere. As I remember, he's putting out over 400 HP and has been doing so for several years with no problems. I believe his comments are directly in regard to his transmission but power has to go through the RE to get to the ground.
KS

Quick also has a Torsen T2 locking diff.

There are other things to consider too as far as how long the rear will last. You can throw 400+ horses at it with no issues. Because it's an open diff, you'll break traction before you break anything else.

Put on some DR's and throw in a locker, and a 3400 stall converter, and that's going to put more stress on the diff since you will be putting more power to forward movement instead of breaking traction.

There are other things to consider too as far as how long the rear will last. You can throw 400+ horses at it with no issues. Because it's an open diff, you'll break traction before you break anything else.

Put on some DR's and throw in a locker, and a 3400 stall converter, and that's going to put more stress on the diff since you will be putting more power to forward movement instead of breaking traction.

3K stall and street slicks here. Quik is running the Torsen and T1R's IIRC which arent slick put they are damn grippy tires.

Weird thing is they put 400HP down in the jag s-type R, maybe it's of better construction.
The way I heard it, Jag is doing some "electronic jiggery-pokery" to protect the punkin in the Rs. What, specifically, they're doing, I don't know.

Also, IIRC, Quik was running a 100-shot of nitrous on an open diff. I don't remember if he got the locker installed before the blower was completed, but I'm almost certain he installed it after beginning the forced induction work.

You could try to beef-up a spare set of gears by having them cryo-treated. I know the drag race crowd likes that sort of thing. Not sure about the cost, but if your gonna throw more power at it, it's probably worth a look. I also read about some process call Mikonite (?) in MM&FF and CarCraft a while back. I think it was supposed to be cheaper with some of the same benefits. Custom gears could be a last resort (,waste of money I think though).

Only a waste of money if you are staying with the same ratio.

3.58 the best we can get right? Has anyone looked into whether the Aston Martin rear end are the same as ours? They get 3.77 gears I think.

You can use any 8.8" gears of your choice, but first you need to swap stock parts with:

8.8" pumpkin from a mark viii, weld a custom front brace for the diff, and a custom driveshaft to accomodate the different length of the pumpkin. Oh, and gen 2 LSes need gen 1 axles.

You can use any 8.8" gears of your choice, but first you need to swap stock parts with:

8.8" pumpkin from a mark viii, weld a custom front brace for the diff, and a custom driveshaft to accomodate the different length of the pumpkin. Oh, and gen 2 LSes need gen 1 axles.

Is it done yet????? :D

lol. I wish. I sunk about a grand into parts recently for the LS. And not fun type mods or anything. Coolant tank, tires, COP's, etc...

And I have to figure out what I'm going to do about the DS. I was going to borrow Jason's just to get mine up and running. I guess all I have to buy now is the 4.56's and another LSD carrier. And the steel for the front brace. And the fluids/seals/etc.

amen!

Members online

Back