Rear Suspension HELP

TDUB

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My rear wheels seem to rattle over every bump. The fronts not so much but the rear is horrible. I installed the lowering springs over a year ago, and the shocks seemed fine when I did the install. Any one have suggestions?

just big bumps or small ones too?

Could be any number of things... swaybar bushings, endlinks... control arm bushings... shocks... shock bushings... bumpstops not cut...

How many miles do you have on your car?

Car has 106,600 miles. The bump stops are cut. I know about the suspension problems on the LS but I haven't had any problems with the front (knock on wood) but the back just seems to rattle while driving. It's really annoying, the suspension is firm but I expected that it would be since it's a sport and because of the lowering kit.

I had similar issues with mine and when i got it fixed they said it was the upper and lower control arms. I hope tha helps a liittle

I would be looking at your control arms... but really, your best bet is to simply get under the car; if you get a rattle and not a bang or clank... it's something that's lose. Rattles generally have little to no pressure on them and should be fairly easy to find.

As Nate said, specifically, check for all things being tight on the shocks, especially the bolts that were disturbed when installing the springs. My gut first reaction is rear sway bar bushings or end links, at least you should hope that is what it is and not control arm bushings. :eek: Those arms are big dinero to replace.

Mikey... have you looked at the rear swaybar bushings?!?!?

Cheap to replace with poly... but oh my god difficult. I have had the bushings for a week and a half now and have yet to tackle it on my LS. It's going to be a cruddy job.

I had similar issues with mine and when i got it fixed they said it was the upper and lower control arms. I hope tha helps a liittle

How much did that cost you? Also, is there any way to test it to see if it's a certain part or not. When I did my brakes I looked at them pretty closely and everything appeared to be in good shape, but then again I may not have known exactly what to look for.

Alright, I just went out and pushed down on the back of the car to see if I could find out where the sound is coming from. When I push down on the car it seems like the sound is coming from the drivers side. It almost sounds like an owl when I push down on it.

well then, time to get under there and start investigating!!

Took the wheel off of the rear passenger's side, nothing appears to be worn or warped. Shock has some rust on it but nothing too major. I greased up everything but it is still creaking when I drive and push down on that side of the rear.

it cost me about 1 grand if im not mistaken. I really dont know what to look for for it actually the only reason i knew something was broken was that every time i went over a bump i got a clunk type noise

Members online

No members online now.
Back