Rear View Mirror help !

Yes, but they have a different connector that uses different pins......He would have to cut his wiring and solder them to the newer connector wiring.

Yep, but that's pretty trivial.

Another option is to get an aftermarket dimming mirror.

Yep, but that's pretty trivial.

Another option is to get an aftermarket dimming mirror.

That's not pretty trivial, most people are'nt very good at soldering,let alone trying to do it at the top of the windshield under the headliner. And since the wiring harness is glued to the headliner, he would need to drop the headliner or run a new harness to the rear window to access the the wiring there.

There are many different auto dimming mirrors that you can install in your LS. The earlier compass mirrors used the 3-pin connectors which would work, but you can also use the newer compass mirrors w/ the 7-pin connectors by removing the 3 pins from your connector and inserting them in the 7 pin connector(both mirrors are wired the same).
Pin 1, is the 12 volt run circuit. Pin 2, is the ground circuit & pin 3, is the 12 volt when shifted in reverse signal. I have the compass/outside temp single display mirror that only reqiured adding 2wires out to the temp sensor and 2 wires to the driver's side auto dimming mirror.

What years have the auto-dim/compass w/3-pin and what years with auto-dim/compass w/7-pin? The mirror that went bad, I bought on ebay months ago to replace the original that was bad when I bought the car. I'm not wanting to buy another mirror after this next one and will only have the car for 2 more years.

Thanks,
P.J.

What years have the auto-dim/compass w/3-pin and what years with auto-dim/compass w/7-pin? The mirror that went bad, I bought on ebay months ago to replace the original that was bad when I bought the car. I'm not wanting to buy another mirror after this next one and will only have the car for 2 more years.

Thanks,
P.J.

If you are only looking to swap out mirrors from one LS to another, you will NOT find any auto-dim w/compass with the 3 pin connector,only the 7-pin & 16-pin was used. Alot of GM cars used the 3-pin mirrors that have the same connector & wiring specs as the 00 LS mirror. There are 2 main companies that make auto-dim mirrors(Donnelly & Gentex) for most car brands. Donnelly(which was original equip for the 00 LS) have a higher failure rate than the Gentex mirrors. It is a very simple procedure to change wiring connectors, just make sure that you get the connector w/ the mirror. To remove the pins, use a small screwdriver to press in the locking tab, then pull the wire/pin out of the connector, then use a exacto blade to bend the locking tab back up & push the wire/pin into the new connector. The wiring is the same(pin 1 goes to pin 1,pin 2 goes to pin 2 & pin 3 goes to pin 3). Pic of both connectors below. Note: Do one wire at a time so you are sure to put them in the right hole(the holes are numbered on the back of each connector, if you shine a flashlight on them they are eaiser to read)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back