Receiver drier inlet suction port

Patroned_LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my ac compressor due to my power steering pump failing and leaking all over it causing crud and grime over time. back of compressor looked like it had oil seeping out of it another reason i replaced it.

Replacing reciever dryer as well. in the manual it says to drill hole in old receiver and place same amount of oil in new one.

which is the suction inlet port on the receiver/drier when its bolted on so i can add the oil? does it matter which port you add it to? i havent removed the cap off the receiver yet so it hasnt been exposed to the environment. lookin to get this done so i can vacuum and charge the system.

Also how much dye should i use incase of a leak?

Add the oil to the compressor.
Be sure to turn the compressor by hand several times after it is installed, before adding refrigerant. I do it while it is being vacuumed down, since you have to wait a while for that anyway.

(If you really feel that you must add it to the dryer, the port that connects to the condenser is the inlet, and the port that connects to the expansion valve is the outlet. I wouldn't call either suction, since both are on the high pressure side.)

dang didnt know i could add all 7oz to the compressor. its already in and bolted on with 4.5 oz (came with it). pita to unbolt and add. i thought adding all into compressor would affect performance.

Appreciate you clarifying which port to add it in, Thanks!

dang didnt know i could add all 7oz to the compressor. its already in and bolted on with 4.5 oz (came with it). pita to unbolt and add. i thought adding all into compressor would affect performance.

Appreciate you clarifying which port to add it in, Thanks!

Where ever you add it, it gets redistributed as soon as the system runs anyway. Most of it will stay in the compressor. The second biggest amount will be in the dryer, and the rest will be in the condenser and the evaporator, in circulation. It's only really needed in the compressor (although a little on the seals and the expansion valve is a good thing too), but it's not practical to keep it all there. Some will circulate no matter what.

good info to know. 1st time servicing my ac for repair. cool to have knowledgeable contributors on this forum

Members online

Back