Recently bought a used 01 LS V8. Should i be concerned?

davidanthony21

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard the 00 had many problems. What about the 01's? It has 68,000 miles, but came back carfax clean (no accidents). I don't have a warranty.

If your 01 is similar to my 00, by the time you reach 68k, the typical issues have probably occurred and been fixed, under the original warranty. These include foggy headlights, rear window regulators, rear view mirror and front end "clunk". Aside from these, I'm unaware of other typical problems with the 00 or 01.

you should have asked/looked around the site BEFORE buying the car. :) j/k.

yes, you should be concerned. ;)

Don't be concerned, be cautious. If you have more than one coil pack blow, check the valve cover gaskets. If you hear a clunk, check the ball joints and sway bar bushings. If a rear window stops working, just buy a new regulator ~$35. I doubt you would have any problems at 68k. My problems stopped around 60k, knock on wood.

I have heard about the coil packs and valve cover gaskets being a problem. So far no problems, but if that issue ever came up how much is that to fix? Is that something I could do myself (I am no mechanic, but i like to tinker with things) or is a "be safe and take it to the dealer" kind of thing?

I've had my 01 for about 8 months, the only thing that has gone wrong so far is two window regulators and the engine cooling fan pump needed replacing. But i love my car so far so good.

Had my 01 for a year and a half. The only problem was rear window regulator, and a cracked coil pack. The original owner used a twist tie to hold the coil pack together and when the twist tie heated up and broke, I discovered the problem. Caveat emptor

Are the new window regulators stronger then the old ones? The ones in my ls have been replaced 5 times, and one is getting slow again.
Eamonn

I've had my 01 for about 8 months, the only thing that has gone wrong so far is two window regulators and the engine cooling fan pump needed replacing. But i love my car so far so good.

/sighs in relief..

It happend today... Mind you I had my windows tinted 3 weeks ago or so... rear right window won't go up once it went down, it makes a weird sound if i hold the down button then just stops.. It's under warranty and at the shop now but won't have it back til tomorrow... I read the story of someones tint causing a jam in there and costing 300-400 to fix with no reimbursement...

What exactly happens when the regulator goes out? It sounds like a broken piece of the gears rattling when I push the down button, and it wont go up at all.

Yes you should be concerned, I have 01 with 59,000 mi and had it for 2 years, and i had coil plug problems, valve cover gaskets leaking, hydraulic cooling fan had to be replaced, trans. valvebody had to be replaced, rear window regulators, and check engine light going off a lot, trunk releace button not working, and several other problems. 00-02 had the most problems, and every time you take your car to dealer is $75 just to look at problem to fix it is another story. It can get very costly without warranty, good thing I did get warranty because the trans. problem was over $1000. But that doesen't mean your car will have the same problems.

damn, i wanted to buy some exterior features such as: chrome grill, billet pillar posts, demon headlights, ect..., but now i feel like i should save my money and wait for the car to break down.

i have had the valve cover leak, 2 coils replaces already. now i feel the others going. so im going to replace them all and not messaround with it.
my big problem now is my evaporator coil is leaking and the air doesnt work. has been at my machanics shop since tuesday. the whole dash is in my back seat and the cd player and tach/speed cluster is in the trunk. its a da,m good thing my machanic is a good friend and always needs electrical work.

Overall, i think the ls is an awesome car. i love the look and especially love the ride. i would deffinatly buy another ls anyday

davidanthony21 said:
I have heard about the coil packs and valve cover gaskets being a problem. So far no problems, but if that issue ever came up how much is that to fix? Is that something I could do myself (I am no mechanic, but i like to tinker with things) or is a "be safe and take it to the dealer" kind of thing?

It can be a DIY job, lsbit has a tech article on it. However, it will take almost all day to do. If you want it done by a mechanic, find a reliable/trustworthy repair shop around town. Avoid the stealership at all costs.

Also, remember all cars are different. Yours may have no problems, or only a minor one like a window regulator. Don't dwell over it, but remember that it could happen.

Just got my baby back, *4 hours and a rental car later lol*. Was just the window regulator. The tint got scratched at the dealership so I got a price to fix that one window and they put it in writing they would reimburse me for it when I get it fixed... great thing about it? I had a bubble line across that window already. 2-3week old tint and that pissed me off, but now it's getting fixed for free =D

Good to hear KC! There is a TSB on the rear regulators. I had both mine replaced under warranty.

The v/c gaskets and seals aren't that difficult to do. I just did them and it took about 4 hours...taking my time and having a couple of cold ones along the way. I have a VERY well equipped shop though, so that helps. Just remember that when you order the parts, get the KITS and not just the gaskets. You need the seals from the kits. Should be about $40 from a dealer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back