Recently, doors have started locking/unlocking randomly

GiuBru72

LVC Member
Reaction score
So, recently, my doors have started locking or unlocking randomly and it seems to be getting worse. The first time I thought I was sitting on the FOB, but then it started happening while driving. Now it is becoming fairly frequent. Any suggestions?

Your not alone lol, my 95 does that to me. One time it did it when the car was running and I was adjusting my headlights. The electronic piece in the door that tells you that the door is open might have something to do with it. Maybe

The 98 I just bought does the same thing. I sprayed the door latches with WD 40 because it told me both doors were ajar. Now it locks and unlocks itself. I'm going to spray the latches down again to see if that helps.

Take the batteries out of your remote(s) and see if the problem keeps happening. If it stops doing this, then you'll know to get a new remote.

Or.. Remove the driver's side door panel and unplug the switch, if it stops, that is your faulty switch. If not, reinstall and try the passenger side. If that doesn't make it stop, you'll be looking at the door lock control module.

on my 93, the remote is disabled when the car is running. so if you have a first gen, it probably isn't the remote.

I had the door ajar problem like a year ago and a spray of WD40 did the trick. This problem has just started recently. Last time I was in the car, the remote was a good 50ft away in my apt. I will change the batteries just to be sure, but I doubt that is the problem. Does it sometimes when the car is running or just sitting there. Could this be the anti-theft module going bad? Loose connection somewhere?

I had the door ajar problem like a year ago and a spray of WD40 did the trick. This problem has just started recently. Last time I was in the car, the remote was a good 50ft away in my apt. I will change the batteries just to be sure, but I doubt that is the problem. Does it sometimes when the car is running or just sitting there. Could this be the anti-theft module going bad? Loose connection somewhere?

Take the drivers door panel off, look up near where the JBL tweeter would be and you'll see a box mounted there. Disconnect the harness from that box and see if it continues to happen. Probably going to be a bad module or switch.

I think this has something to do with the door ajar sensor because this morning on my way to work I was driving and I shifted my weight in the seat and leaned against the door arm rest and caused the doors to lock, and I know I didn't press the door lock button..

So, I figured it out! I wanted to follow up to help anyone with the same problem because if it weren't for coincidental luck, I would never have looked here. Turns out, one of the projects on my Mark was to replace the rear neon brake light with one I refurbed. As I was replacing the light, I noticed some flickering as I opened and closed the trunk. The wires along the trunk arm had worn through their sheath, were not broken completely, but were shorting. THAT is what was causing the doors to unlock of all things. The trunk release to the remote module was one of the wires shorting out and must have been causing the whole thing to go wacky. A little solder and heat-shrink tubing and everything is working great. Going on 6 days now without a problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back