Remove 3rd brake light on 02

bklene50

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am getting my windows tinted tomorrow and want to remove the brake light so it can be tinted over that. Would it be easier to just take out the whole tray?

I've done the searches and looked through the first 10 or so pages, and from what I can tell, only the cover comes off without removing the rear deck?

However it's done, could someone point me in the right direction as to how to take it off. Either option will work for me.

I pretty much tried to take the thing off AFTER i got my windows tinted because he cut around the light and I was pissed and he moved the rubber gasket from around the light... so I took down the sub shelf in the trunk, popped the clips loose from the bottom of the light assembly, and then slowly realized that the thing WASNT going to come out without the whole rear deck being dissassembled. lol.

Basically, you can unclip it in the trunk, but it wont come out from between the glass and the rear deck without taking the rear deck out of the way.

When I had my windows tinted I just took off the brake light cover - you shouldn't have to remove the whole light. I left the cover sitting on the package tray and when the guy was done he actually put it back on...

I think you just push down on the cover and slide it back towards you to remove it

I'd avoid removing the 3rd brake light. It's a real pain to take out, and put back in. I took my original one out, and the seal was like a wet noodle, and came right off the housing. I ended up buying a used one in mint shape, and put it in. You'll want to remove the cover from the housing, and remove the bulb. Then you have to loosen the tabs from inside the trunk(lay down and look up through the little holes. It helps to use a screw driver, but DON'T break the tabs!). Once it's loose, you've got to pull up and back on the light as much as it will go. I found that with a little bit of patience, you can turn the housing and it will finally slide out.

Putting it back in, isn't much easier. I was too worried about breaking the metal tabs.

Mark

I just had my windows tinted and the guy was able to do it by just removing the cover, but as mentioned above the rubber seal was like a wet noodle. So I had to try to get it cback on and it was not working. I was able to get the light out without removing the deck tray covering, but I was never able to get the rubber to stay, I was soo pissed I left it out for now until I want to glue it to the cover. Blah

Pull back on the plastic cover and that should be enough room to squeegee out the water in there.

I took mine out to have mine tinted there are two clips on the underside. I got it out by unplugging the bulb of course then with the housing loose from the bottom I push down on the rear deck its quite foamy so there is some room to work the housing around alittle. Keep in mind ther also are two alignment tabs towards the trunk. Just be patient it will come out. I also had to glue the red lens to the housing and the gasket to the lens. The first time I did this it was like 90 outside. I took about 10-15 min maybe longer

Thanks for the responses guys. I got it to slide far enough away that he could fit a squeegee in there. I tried to put it back today and im having the same problem with the gasket. I got the sides on but when I tried the top, the corners wouldn't stay down. Oh well I'll have to try when I have more patience.

Hey Guys...Im a newby here

I am just trying to figure out how to get the cover off.. Ive been fighting it for a while now but I dont want to break it...Whats the trick? :rolleyes:

Pull a little harder. It's stuck on there pretty good, just wiggle it the right way and keep pulling back and up. Or you might be able to go through the trunk and push the tabs up with a flat head screwdriver.

Pull a little harder. It's stuck on there pretty good, just wiggle it the right way and keep pulling back and up. Or you might be able to go through the trunk and push the tabs up with a flat head screwdriver.

+1 I had to like pinch it and wiggle it while pulling as hard as I could to get it off.

Mine still slides off after the tint shop "tried" to remove the cover....maybe I should just stop procrastination and fix it..but the light went out a while after the tint job got done...maybe the light got too wet and burnt out but I actually like the LS without the 3rd brake light...to be quite honest :p

Members online

Back