Replace all Coils or just the one indicated in the code?

bmoranmd10

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been reading this board for a couple months and it seems my wife's '00 LS 65k miles has come down with a bad coil. I scanned it and got P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. I've already found the valve cover/coil replacement docs, awesome stuff there :). My question is, since this is my first Coil over Plug vehicle, do I replace the bad coil only or should I do them all since I'm going in? Anytime I've ever had an ignition problem plugs, wires, dist. cap, etc is the no brainer solution. I don't mind spending the money on all 8, but wouldnt want to do that unless it made sense.

:Beer

:W

I say since you know which one it is, just change the one, but beware after the first one the others aren't too far behind!!
Have a tune up lately? Good time to change the plugs.

I'd go with the one first, but if you don't like messin' around and have the extra money, it wouldn't hurt to do them all.

Change the one but make sure you check the others for oil. How many miles are on the car?

Welcome to the greatest show on earth.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll order two. One for cylinder 4 and a backup. Already have the plugs. I'll do plugs all around, replace coil 4, and check for oil. From reading previous posts it seems very likely that I will find oil, but thanks to this forum I won't sweat it. I'll order the VC gaskets and get-r-done. :)

The car is a 2000 LS8 Sport, we bought it new in August of 2000. It has about 65K on the odo. It's my wifes daily driver and all I've ever done is regular oil and coolant changes and a recent batter swap. It's quick for a big car and handles great. It's just fun to drive.

Later :)

Quick followup - Has anyone ordered coils via Advanced Auto? they can get them and are cheaper than five star. there part numbers are differen so I'm not sure what rev they are, prolly won' be OE though right?
Thanks again.

I used the wells manufacturing coils, from autozone, a few months back. one went bad and I removed the other when I replaced with OEM coils. Never bought from advanced auto and can't help on the revision issue.

bmoranmd10 said:
Quick followup - Has anyone ordered coils via Advanced Auto? they can get them and are cheaper than five star. there part numbers are differen so I'm not sure what rev they are, prolly won' be OE though right?
Thanks again.

I bought one from Advanced Auto for my wife's car. It had the typical Ford part number on it, although I don't remember the rev for sure. It came in a GP Sorensen box. The one I bought from O'Reileys was a Borg Warner. I tried to call Advance for my last coil purchase and they tried to tell me they never carried them. :)

I'll just say this about Retarded Auto... be very careful what you buy from them electrical wise... I can't begin to list all the electrical crap (and it's just that, crap) over the years that I've had to change out only in 4 or 5 months. Autozone's stuff's been decent so far. Dunno. Just a word of caution that's all.

thanks to everyone for their input. I cancelled my Advanced Auto order and Ordered all parts from Max at 5*. A little more money, but I'll get all OE stuff at all the latest revs. Order should come in sometime this week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Later, Brian.

I started out with aftermarket OE replacements but ended up doing the same thing becasue it was hard to be sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back